Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cowpaintings

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I wasn't really worried about setting up my macbook air today since I assumed it had iwork in it just like any other mac. I figured I could just type in my serial number and get right to work.

There's garageband(which wouldn't work great in this computer), IMovie(ditto), but no iwork!!!

Isn't this a bit strange?

cowpaintings

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I apologize for excluding a detail...when I spoke to a rep before purchase he mentioned that I would be "off and running since iwork is already installed". I think, as me, he assumed it would already be installed as it is in every other mac.

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I think Apple cut out the demo possibly because of space. It's the first Mac that I've bought that didn't have any kind of "demo" or 3rd party apps. All new Macs always come with iLife installed, usually iWork and sometimes Microsoft Office are trials.

cowpaintings

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
It may be just my needs, but IMHO I'd think they would cut out garage band, imovie, and other apps that weren't necessarily conducive to the mba's enviroment. Pages and Numbers are perfect for what I'm using it for.

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
It may be just my needs, but IMHO I'd think they would cut out garage band, imovie, and other apps that weren't necessarily conducive to the mba's enviroment. Pages and Numbers are perfect for what I'm using it for.

They can't just cut out garageband and imovie. They are included in every new mac as part of the iLife suite. The iWork trial however is free if you really want to download it.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

I don't know what you are talking about. My friend just bought a MBA and is just finished a video project on it in iMovie complete with effects, titles and over an 90 minutes of video and the edits were done without a hitch. Who says the AIR is not for Garageband and iMovie? Since you don't use these apps you shouldn't put out false info.

cowpaintings

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I don't know what you are talking about. My friend just bought a MBA and is just finished a video project on it in iMovie complete with effects, titles and over an 90 minutes of video and the edits were done without a hitch. Who says the AIR is not for Garageband and iMovie? Since you don't use these apps you shouldn't put out false info.

I use these apps quite alot actually. I merely meant that the provided graphics/audio is not conducive to the way most people work on hd projects. I purchased this as a secondary computer to do my website/word processing work.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone for suggesting that a laptop video card with shared ram and a mono speaker would be more conducive to internet/word processing/graphics rather than making the next Cloverfield within the past few days.:rolleyes:

cowpaintings

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Is this forum so tawdry that it doesn't understand the nuance of the question?

Some didn't know the word "diaper" while I programmed games for the apple IIE, wrote basic, worked on music, movies, and internet solutions under apple systems exclusively.

While others question "demo apps", the only demo apps that were ever included in apple systems were:

-a breakout game in homage to wozniak eons ago

-a few other games that were fully working unless you wanted the internet option

-snood, which is a long time mac favorite-and takes no memory, but was only on educational systems that only a few of us got our hands on-like the 5400

-a failed word trial after the microsoft debacle

-and iwork, which is an apple app easily accessible by purchasing the serial and whoala, your trial version is now good for life

The latter has been included in every single system since iwork has been invented. You type in your paid serial number and it works. This is the first computer that doesn't have it-period.

My g4 had it.

My powerbook has it.

My imacs have it.

My powermacs have it.

My airbook doesn't have it.

Compared to other apps like garage band, imovie, or iweb, iwork takes a minimal amount of mem.-about 560megs.

The great thing about osx? Take the program folder to the trash, hit delete-wow, that was hard! Any remaining preference files take up kilobytes.

Meanwhile, while people have claimed to of written concertos and major motion pictures on the airbook, I'm plainly telling them that they're full of sh*te. I have raw footage from two motion pictures in preproduction and it is choppy to say the least. Am I regretful? OF COURSE NOT-because I fully considered the macbook air to be a solution to work on writings, websites, graphics, etc. while traveling and at home. Any fanbase that wishes to tout this as the end all be all is the true fakir in this forum.

If people got out of job's butt for a moment they'd realize why certain products were made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.