Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Wow I am impressed with the new Advanced Vector Xtension of the new Sandy bridge architechture, 256bit vs 128bit, potential doubling of flops not to mention lots of tweaks etc..

So those running generation 1 Mac Pros are you going to wait till 2010? Is that when this new 32nm sandy bridge will be available from Apple?

Roy

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
Wow I am impressed with the new Advanced Vector Xtension of the new Sandy bridge architechture, 256bit vs 128bit, potential doubling of flops not to mention lots of tweaks etc..

So those running generation 1 Mac Pros are you going to wait till 2010? Is that when this new 32nm sandy bridge will be available from Apple?

From now until 2010 is an eternity in computer technology time. If you are waiting until 2010, then you might as well quit reading these forums and log back in late 2009.:)

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
2010???

Makes me think twice about getting that mac pro this summer.

I guess you can add me to the list but I kinda want a Mac Pro for screwing around a little bit on photoshop and no iMac/Macbook Pro since I have a 24" monitor already and over my dead body will I buy a Macbook Regular.

Frozonecold

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2005
NorCal

Hmmn, I'm now considering waiting. I was originally going to wait for the next gen ones, but now I think I may wait another generation or two.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
except for the graphics card, which will have 2 options and one absurdly-overpriced non-option...followed quickly by a new generation mac pro that uses completely incompatible graphics cards...

Just kidding...Apple would never do that to their pro users...we're too valuable to their "cred."

pfff.

bigwig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2005
except for the graphics card, which will have 2 options and one absurdly-overpriced non-option...followed quickly by a new generation mac pro that uses completely incompatible graphics cards...

Just kidding...Apple would never do that to their pro users...we're too valuable to their "cred."
So valuable Apple is skipping NAB this year. With the lack of Blu-Ray tools and drives on Apple machines if Apple waits until next year to introduce this stuff they'll have all but ceded the market to PCs running Vista.

tivoli2

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
My own little world...
I'm waiting until all connections are wireless, power is inductive, 52" Apple Cinema displays are roll-up-able, and I can assemble an animation in After Effects by thinking about it while eating my breakfast toast.

Sheesh.:rolleyes:

Actually, I'm hoping that inductive power thing happens sooner than later for select applications. I say get a Mac, use it & abuse it until it doesn't do what you need it to do, then either give it to your non-technophile uncle, sell it, or relegate it to propping up your desk & get a new one. Life is short, baby.

bigwig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2005
If Intel holds to its schedule Sandy Bridge will launch in Nov-Dec 2010 and will likely be available in the Mac Pro Jan-Feb 2011. I'm thinking about waiting until January '09, getting a Nehalem Mac Pro, and then upgrading every 2 years when Intel introduces a new architecture (I think upgrading in step with Intel's architecture cycle is better bang for the buck than upgrading in step with their shrink cycle).

mgsarch

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008

pfff.

huh?

you mean the quadro? that's what they cost man. nothing new.

Globetrotter

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
London

pfff.

You have to wonder at their business model :D

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
huh?

you mean the quadro? that's what they cost man. nothing new.

There are 6 or 7 different Quadros that Nvidia offers. Apple only offers the most expensive one as an option. What a shock.:rolleyes: Don't suppose the others are usable in the "most expandable Mac ever".:D No FireGL's at all. And the FireGLs run Maya about 30% faster than the twice as expensive Quadros according to Spec.org. Think different, indeed. :D :apple:

mgsarch

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
There are 6 or 7 different Quadros that Nvidia offers. Apple only offers the most expensive one as an option. What a shock.:rolleyes: Don't suppose the others are usable in the "most expandable Mac ever".:D No FireGL's at all. And the FireGLs run Maya about 30% faster than the twice as expensive Quadros according to Spec.org. Think different, indeed. :D :apple:

you're right, it is the most expensive one.

is their confirmation that no FireGL or other Quadro's will work?

I'm about to order a Quadro and i could have sworn I read a few reviews of people configuring their MP's with them. No driver support?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I'm waiting until all connections are wireless, power is inductive, 52" Apple Cinema displays are roll-up-able, and I can assemble an animation in After Effects by thinking about it while eating my breakfast toast.

Sheesh.:rolleyes:

wait... you can't do that... you mean you actually do RAM previews and spend time playing with keyframes ;)

tivoli2

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
My own little world...
wait... you can't do that... you mean you actually do RAM previews and spend time playing with keyframes ;)

Not only that, I've been known to adjust the timing of something by mere 24ths/sec & mess with a curve or two as well. :eek: :D

My Mac Pro is doing a great job of keeping up with the crazy things I want it to do. Well, the computery things I want it do do... outside of just knowing what I want it to do, or teleporting me to warmer climes...

And I'm still waiting for the "happy-dance" animation button on the keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.