No keyboard improvements?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Fission, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Fission macrumors regular

So, I remember reading that the keyboard was getting some work done to it....Maybe I missed something, but it still sucks. What exactly was done? It's still so 2007....

I wish apple would buy swift key so much!

2. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

So 2007 ? firstly it has changed in iOS7 ....but it's a keyboard, what exactly is wrong with it ? Instead of just saying something sucks actually say what about it is wrong.

3. Fission thread starter macrumors regular

4. Blakeasd macrumors 6502a

There is no point in change for the sake of change. What do you think needs to change? What's wrong with the current keyboard?

5. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

The buttons always show caps for one..

6. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

that could be changed sure.

It isn't an end of the world thing though.

7. Fission thread starter macrumors regular

Seeing as the keyboard is so small, better word prediction MUST be implemented. Apple buys up companies for millions, yet they ignore tech like swiftkey? The keyboard is a large bottleneck that needs improvement.

I remember reading somewhere that iOS 7 was brining improvements, yet I see none.

8. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Nothing keyboard related would be "end of the world" but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try and improve it. It's been like this since the initial release but they're too stubborn to change it. There is absolutely no reason to keep it this way.

----------

Autocorrection is actually relatively good for me. Not as good as SwiftKey but still pretty good. I rarely use prediction but I know a lot of people rely on it.

9. Shuri macrumors 6502

The autocorrect has been improved in iOS 7. It uses the whole context to determine which words are being corrected.

The keyboard works great for me. It gets better every time I use it and predects my words accurately.

10. Fission thread starter macrumors regular

Doesn't for me...Keeps messing up well and we'll...he'll And hell...likes to capitalize at will...

11. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

There's prediction in iOS now?

----------

For these I've noticed it changes them which I was impressed with.

12. Fission thread starter macrumors regular

I wonder why it's working for some people and not others? I've restored and setup as new already...

13. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

I have this same problem. It almost always autocorrects well to we'll. Drives me insane. I've restored as new also, but still the same thing.

14. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

You could say theres no reason to change it, not exactly a big issue thats causing uproar. I'd be happy if it changed but of all the things that are missing and have been removed that need to come back this is very low on the list.

As for the topic on Predictive text, I have it off, can't stand a computer trying to tell me what I am typing. I was glad when they introduced separate spelling suggestions as that is useful.

15. bozzykid macrumors 68020

I really don't understand why they are still using the old autocorrect method. Even on Android with the stock Google keyboard it learns as your type and gives you multiple suggestions as you type saving you lots of key presses. Swipe support would be cool but just the fact that all it really gives you is autocorrect after you type something seems so dated and not as productive.

16. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

Well I remember from back in the day they said that iOS was meant to learn your words as you used them or you can add custom ones into the dictionary. I would like them to possibly link up to something like urban dictionary so if you use slang or abbreviations it understands that you kno know what your typing and should back off.

17. Fission, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013

Fission thread starter macrumors regular

I know, drives me up the wall...

Edit: should add the dang period key next to space bar...what a blunder...

Also, automcorrecting to a word that isn't a
    Word.

18. Shuri macrumors 6502

Well the same it's been there for years; words are predicted, but since there is only one option which you can choose by hitting space, it doesn't work like on android where you get realtime predictions. So no, not in the "android way".

I think the way to go here is to just trust the system (which gets more accurate over time). When I'm writing something, I just type it and "hope" that it either fits or iOS makes it right. Most of the time it's right. If there is something wrong I can still return and use the options it gives, when the cursor is right behind a word.

19. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

A period is automatically added when you press the space bar 2x after a word/letter.

20. Fission thread starter macrumors regular

Not nearly as bad as having it right next to a tiny space bar.

21. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

During the first beta that's where they had the period. And it sucked having space bar that small

22. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

It learns from you. So don't type a word that isn't a word. #
    Double tap space for period.
    I do agree that the keyboard needs work, but at least know what your bashing guys. Geez.

23. Fission thread starter macrumors regular

I think we're confused here... There IS a period key next to my space key whenever I enter text into search bar...This causes me to hit the period key wayyyyy too much. I never need to enter a period in any of my searches. It needs to go.