Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El Jengibre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
I am trying to install Windows 7 x64 (so I can later upgrade to Windows 10) onto a thunderbolt SSD connected to my late 2014 riMac. I use Bootcamp Assistant (latest version) to load my Win7 ISO and the bootcamp drivers onto a bootable USB 2.0 drive. I don’t check the option to partition my HDD (since I’m installing onto an external thunderbolt drive) so I never get the option to restart though BCA. Instead, I just restart and hold option until I can select the USB drive. But when I finally get into the first Win7 install screen (language selection), I have no mouse curser and neither my keyboard nor mouse respond.

I’ve tried using my bluetooth keyboard and trackpad (I’ve also tried powering them down and back on), and I’ve also tried a usb mouse (I didn’t have a usb keyboard on hand but I will tonight), with no results. I’ve tried re-opening BCA after copying the Win7 ISO and selecting only the middle option to install the drivers. I’ve also cycled my usb stick through all of my USB ports.

As a control, I tried doing all of this with a Windows 10 ISO and my bluetooth keyboard and mouse work there. I’ve also tried booting the Win7 bootcamp USB with my Late 2012 MBP, and the internal keyboard and mouse work fine (I can’t install this way because of the method I’m using to install on the external SSD, which requires a tiny FAT32 partition on my riMAC for successful booting), though I didn’t tried any external peripherals. This makes me think it has something to do with the interaction between Windows 7 and the new riMACs. I even tried downloading a new Win7 ISO with SP1 (My copy was vanilla), but that didn’t help.

Thanks

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
According to what I find In boot camp assistant created disk, there are several drivers will be loaded when booting windows pe.

Plus, you should choose EFI when booting to Windows install disk to let windows pe load all necessary drivers, including Bluetooth driver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.