No keyboard/mouse - W7 DVD installation

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mde8965, Nov 6, 2013.

1. mde8965 macrumors newbie

Using bootcamp, installed W7 professional on my late 2013 27" iMac running Mountain Lion (haven't upgraded to Mavericks yet). I am using a legally purchased DVD installation disk. The installation part went ok. But initially had an issue where windows would not recognize my bootcamp partition since I had the USB with the support software plugged in when I formatted it. Actually I had my USB HDD used for Time Machine plugged in too. Once I removed both, the rest went ok. I plugged it back in immediately after the partition created and the installation began.

That is until it was installed and it went to the first time set up screen. The one where you enter/create the user name and PC name. At this point the keyboard and mouse are unresponsive (both the apple bluetooth ones and the wireless USB (dongle) ones from my old windows computer). So I cannot complete this screen and move on into windows setup with the installation of support software and drivers.

Again, I am using a legal W7 OEM DVD, not a USB ISO.

Anyone know how to get around this? Do I have to go get a WIRED USB mouse and keyboard now???

And I cannot leave the USB with support software plugged in when creating the bootcamp partition or it will not work (I get the "setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition" error)

2. mde8965 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK problem above solved. Removed windows installation and started over. Left time machine HDD unplugged and had USB with support software and windows keyboard/mouse USB dongle plugged in.

W7 installed successfully. After installation, apple bluetooth keyboard works for the most part, but the magic mouse and trackpad is unresponsive. The windows USB mouse continues to function.

Not sure what is causing the magic mouse and trackpad not to work. According to windows, "the device is working properly". As is the trackpad. Haven't had time to troubleshoot. Is this something I will have to deal with in device manager and manually download drivers for?

3. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

I'm on a brand new 15inch MBPr... When booting into the Win7 installation, the first screen that asks what language you want to install, I have NO keyboard or mouse. Plugging in a usb mouse doesn't work. Almost same situation...

4. mde8965 thread starter macrumors newbie

Resolution to my issue with the magic mouse and trackpad not working.

Seems each time I have to log into windows, when the home screen is up, if I click on the mouse and the track pad, that seems to wake them up in windows so to speak. So now I finally have what I think is a fully functioning W7 Professional under Bootcamp/Mountain Lion. I think I have the screen brightness issue some folks have been complaining about, but can live with that for now...

Not planning to upgrade to Mavericks for a while until all the kinks are worked out with drivers and Bootcamp...