No keyboard, no screen, just a fan noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by corich90, Apr 16, 2016.

1. corich90 macrumors newbie

Hi all!

I have a mid-2009 13" MBP. It had Mavericks installed on it before these problems occurred. A few days ago, I noticed that the time elapsed between pressing the power button and the appearance of the white apple logo screen were getting longer and longer (30 seconds to five minutes). If I put the computer to sleep, the only way to get out out of sleep mode would be to manually restart.

The problems started getting worse after I went into the boot screen and verified/repaired the disk this afternoon. I verified the disk while the computer was running normally, and it told me that there was an issue and I should open disk utility in boot mode. I did disk utility in boot mode and the disk utility found no issues.

I restarted again. Black screen. No login page. Just a single disk click/fan noise (no chime) played. I can get the white screen with no Apple logo once and a while, but it never goes beyond that. I tried inserting the Snow Leopard disk, but it looks like the keyboard isn't working so I can't even eject it or force it to boot from the disc. The white status light on the front right hand corner is a solid white. I have tried many internet troubleshooting guides for black screen to no avail.

I'm currently trying to put a copy of Snow Leopard onto USB so that I can boot from that. I will try to get an external keyboard and mouse tomorrow. Does anyone know if unplugging the internal hard drive will force the computer to boot from USB?

2. chscag macrumors 68000

Sometimes, removing the hard drive and booting directly from the Snow Leopard DVD will work. But from your description, it sounds like you have a defective hard drive to deal with. If you intend to swap it out, I also recommend swapping out the hard drive SATA cable at the same time.

3. corich90, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016

corich90 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was fearing that. What would the process be if I chose to buy a new SATA hard drive (and cable), seeing as neither of them would have a Mac OSX installed on them to start? Would I just follow the same procedure of booting from a USB? Also, the mouse is not working either. Looks like I can't even eject the DVD because the mouse button hold and eject button hold do nothing.

Are there specific SATA drives I should use or avoid?

4. corich90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:

Got a new hard drive, keyboard and mouse.

USB ports, mouse, and keyboard (internal and external) non-functioning. CD drive runs, but there's no connectivity to the computer.

Is this a power board issue?