Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
another example of modern apple’s half effort implementations
Well you can never do everything for day 1.

I could boil eggs on the first MacBook Air. And the first iPhone didn’t even have 3G which was a joke.

Never buy a first gen product is often true, sadly.

GloPen

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2017
I work @ home and having home screen rotated is better than tilting my head all the time. So I ‘m with you on benefit of home screen rotation.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
another example of modern apple’s half effort implementations

Not quite. The X is using the 4.7" flavor of iOS, rather than the 5.5" Plus version.

It's been said a bazillion times, the X is not a replacement for the Plus, it's an evolution of the 4.7" iPhone.

There's a reason why so many Plus users like myself will be waiting for the X+ next year.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Not something I was aware of prior to purchasing. Seems there have been a few returns and disappointments from Plus users in other forums.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
Couldn’t this be adjusted with an iOS update?? Surely we the people can protest to have this implemented just like we cried could to have 3D Touch app switcher returned.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Couldn’t this be adjusted with an iOS update?? Surely we the people can protest to have this implemented just like we cried could to have 3D Touch app switcher returned.

It was never a feature intended outside the Plus and iPad. You didn’t lose anything.

The X is not a Plus replacement. Anyone who thinks that hasn’t been paying attention to the dozens of threads about this issue since the reveal.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Not quite. The X is using the 4.7" flavor of iOS, rather than the 5.5" Plus version.

It's been said a bazillion times, the X is not a replacement for the Plus, it's an evolution of the 4.7" iPhone.

There's a reason why so many Plus users like myself will be waiting for the X+ next year.

Me too. I think many Plus users will be disappointed with the compromises they will have to make with the X.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Not something I was aware of prior to purchasing. Seems there have been a few returns and disappointments from Plus users in other forums.

All those people who didn’t understand that 5.8” isn’t really larger than 5.5” in practical use are about to get big dosage of painful geometry.

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
I use rotation the odd time, however it’s not a deal breaker for me on the new phone

mhornback2

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2011
Vancouver, Washington
Personally I don't care about landscape homescreen, it is more annoying to me than anything (As I don't want landscape homescreen, but I also don't want to enable/disable rotation lock all the time just to stop it.)

The bigger issue I heard was that the phone doesn't identify like the Plus in landscape, inside of apps. Meaning an app like Mail shows a single column layout, and not the split panes like it does on the plus. That is really stupid if true.

Just noticing that here. I hope that is fixed!

Reactions: HeadphoneAddict

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
“Huge step back”

Lol, I’ve never once used my home screen in landscape. There is really no benefit to doing so.

Well then, that's so definitive that you've never done it. Alrighty then. /end_dripping_sarcasm

Yea, not having landscape mode for email and notes app is really a big productivity setback for those that are used to using it on the plus. I *CANNOT BELIEVE* not a single idiot reviewer bothered to mention this. This is enough of a feature for me to return the phone and go get an iPhone 8+.

Stunningly stupid move on Apple's part. And for the apologists in the group, please spare me. The screen is bigger than the Plus's and can totally accommodate this layout. Apple at least could make it an option, and it was not unreasonable for plus owners to think this would be supported considering the bigger screen on the X. Your feigned blasé responses not withstanding.

Last edited:

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
I use it daily. I like my phone in landscape in my car mount for a nicer navigation view. There's a reason all those old Garmin GPS units were landscape mode. Still too many apps in the store that don't do landscape though, including the iOS music app.
Report it to Apple then:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Phones are becoming more and more portrait devices, a good thing if you ask me. Just like my iPad is almost always in landscape mode, as it should be. Different devices for different types of content.

Picapau21

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2015
You asked "what's the benefit of a landscape homescreen", and I'm saying "my phone is stuck in landscape in my car because of nicer navigation". Implying if I need to check anything else on the phone while in the car, it's nice when the homescreen can show landscape as well.

Completely agree with you. Landscape mode was useful in the car but I eventually kept my 7 plus in portrait because phone calls and the Apple Music app don’t work in landscape. Obviously I wasn’t calling people but when a call did come through it would be sideways which bugged me.
[doublepost=1509915459][/doublepost]
It was never a feature intended outside the Plus and iPad. You didn’t lose anything.

The X is not a Plus replacement. Anyone who thinks that hasn’t been paying attention to the dozens of threads about this issue since the reveal.

Exactly what technarcy said. If you didn’t need the features then you won’t miss them. I had a plus but almost exclusively used it in portrait and I used it extensively for work and email. I just couldn’t type as fast in landscape.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
I never found a use for landscape homescreen other than it got stuck in landscape sometimes until twisting it back and forth 1 or 2 times. I never found any true functional use for it (other than driving me nuts rotating back and forth)

The split screen apps, meh. I never used it honestly, it made the say mail message too small anyway to do anything with in landscape inbox. The display was too small to effectively use the landscape split screen apps even with the text size at the smallest setting. Landscape imessage never found a use for the recipient list on the left side to use it landscape.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Well then, that's so definitive that you've never done it. Alrighty then. /end_dripping_sarcasm

Yea, not having landscape mode for email and notes app is really a big productivity setback for those that are used to using it on the plus. I *CANNOT BELIEVE* not a single idiot reviewer bothered to mention this. This is enough of a feature for me to return the phone and go get an iPhone 8+.

Stunningly stupid move on Apple's part. And for the apologists in the group, please spare me. The screen is bigger than the Plus's and can totally accommodate this layout. Apple at least could make it an option, and it was not unreasonable for plus owners to think this would be supported considering the bigger screen on the X. Your feigned blasé responses not withstanding.

No offense, but this is the ravings or a poorly researched consumer posting FUD.

The points of interface of the X are almost the same as the 4.7” iPhone. The display being “bigger” is not just a matter of diagonal size.

This is widely public info that Apple didn’t keep secret at all.

https://developer.apple.com/ios/human-interface-guidelines/overview/iphone-x/

iphone_sizes.png

Reactions: Cryates

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013

99% of iPhone users aren’t using landscape mode for anything other than video and gaming. Sorry, but it’s true. You do whatever you need to do for yourself though. It’s hardly a huge step back, and frankly the info was out there long before the phone was released. If you bought it not knowing that, well then shame on you I guess.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
No offense, but this is the ravings or a poorly researched consumer posting FUD.

The points of interface of the X are almost the same as the 4.7” iPhone. The display being “bigger” is not just a matter of diagonal size.

This is widely public info that Apple didn’t keep secret at all.

https://developer.apple.com/ios/human-interface-guidelines/overview/iphone-x/

iphone_sizes.png

Um no, you can rationalize it all you want, but the screen is advertised as bigger. Your posting is a ludicrous assertion, and frankly, less than half baked.
[doublepost=1509921356][/doublepost]
99% of iPhone users aren’t using landscape mode for anything other than video and gaming. Sorry, but it’s true. You do whatever you need to do for yourself though. It’s hardly a huge step back, and frankly the info was out there long before the phone was released. If you bought it not knowing that, well then shame on you I guess.

You are such an amazing pollster, going around talking to 99% of all iPhone users. Amazing. You should be sorry for trying to pawn off your own opinion as fact. But hey, those are the times we live in, so it must be aok.

Reactions: BobiM1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.