No larger screen iPhones this year

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ardchoille50, Feb 11, 2014.

1. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

This is an exerpt from a recently published interview. If you can read between the lines of Tim Cook's statement you'll begin to understand why we won't be seeing a larger screen iPhone released by Apple this year.

WSJ: People want a bigger screen iPhone. Are you against that?

Cook: What we’ve said is that until the technology is ready, we don’t want to cross that line. That doesn’t say we’ll never do it. We want to give our customers what’s right in all respects – not just the size but in the resolution, in the clarity, in the contrast, in the reliability. There are many different parameters to measure a display and we care about all those, because we know that’s the window to the software.

I believe Tim Cook's statement would have been much different if Apple were planning a larger screen iPhone this year.

You can read the full interview at Wall Street Journal.

2. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Idk, he could have just been trying to not give any hints.

3. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

No truths will be given up until Tim opens his mouth at the keynote..

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't read too much into it at this point.

5. ardchoille50 thread starter macrumors 68020

I think he could have done that with a smaller paragraph along the lines of "no comment".

6. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

And he would tank current iPhone sales if he even intimated a larger model on the horizon.

No, this obtuse denial is just standard business practice this early in the year.

7. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

If he would have said "no comment" then people would have assumed a bigger iPhone is coming.

I think we will see this one year, and I hope that we do.

8. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

That would have made for a thrilling interview.

I also don't get "no" from the article. If Apple can't make a larger screen that's as good or better than their competition several years after the competition started increasing the size of their screens then something is very wrong. Especially when the market is clearly moving that way.

9. ardchoille50 thread starter macrumors 68020

How long did it take for the first screen size change to appear? I really don't think Apple is going to make another similar change this soon.

10. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

maybe a full hd screen? but bigger would be better at this point.

11. radiologyman macrumors 6502

I see it as opening door to introduce larger screen iphone later on. They know they need it this year because market demands it.

12. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

Why would you infer that no large screen iPhones are coming this year from that statement. Given the various rumors out there, I don't think it's virtually a given that we see at least a 4.7" iPhone if not bigger.

13. sixrom macrumors 6502a

I would be surprised if Apple remained stubborn enough to keep the same size little screen for yet another year. But between their arrogance and vast group of apologists I can see the possibility that they would make that choice. It'd be a great gift to the competitors.

14. I7guy macrumors G5

Some of us wouldn't care if they upped the hardware but kept the same screen size. I have a feeling they won't feel it.

15. ardchoille50 thread starter macrumors 68020

"What we’ve said is that until the technology is ready, we don’t want to cross that line."

I feel that sentence would have been much different if the tech was ready and Apple were planning on a larger screen this year.

"That doesn’t say we’ll never do it."

I feel that sentence wouldn't have even been uttered if Apple were planning on a larger screen this year.

"We want to give our customers what’s right in all respects – not just the size but in the resolution, in the clarity, in the contrast, in the reliability."

That sentence is telling me that "we're not quite ready for it yet".

Too many people are seeing and hearing what they want instead of what is actually being said. Rumors mean nothing.

16. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Just do 4.5 inches. Make bezels smaller. Still one handed operation for most people

17. ardchoille50 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yes, I feel that 4.5 would be the sweet spot.