No launch information for Rogers/Fido at all?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yalag, Jun 15, 2009.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

Are there any launch information for Rogers/Fido at all? For example, which store will open early and what is the price for non new customers? I already own a 3g iPhone and I absolutely need a 3GS on friday.

1) Is it possible to get an 3GS as an existing customer at all on friday? I don't care about the price (doesn't care if I get an upgrade discount etc).

2) If not, then if I sign up for a new number, can I void the contract on the first day and pay the cancellation fee? Then switch over the sim card to my 3GS? would that plan work?

3) If that plan fails, can I cancel this? Is it true that within 30 days, I am allowed to cancel my number and not get charged anything?

Thanks!

2. SkottDMD macrumors 6502

I don't think this is being treated the same way the launch of the 3G was, I have not heard anything about stores opening early or anything like that. Existing customer pricing is based on eligibility, if you purchased a 3G you would not be eligible for an upgrade until 2010. There will be a no-contract price available on launch day which right now would appear to be the only way to upgrade. Rogers has not announced the off contract price and it's highly unlikely they will do so before Friday. There are various levels of HUP eligibility so it's just best to call customer service if you want more specifics.

3. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

ok so worst case if I want a phone on friday no matter what, I will have to start a new contract and just own two numbers? Can I void my contract on the first day and just switch the sim with my 3g phone?

4. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17)

I'm not sure how HUP works with Rogers. When I go to my account on the web, it says I am eligible for hardware upgrade on July 11, exactly one year after I got my 3G.

Maybe that's a "partial" discount or something, I probably won't find out exactly what's up for 27 more days I guess...

5. Kevlar macrumors 6502

Well last time (iPhone 3G) people who were eligable for the hardware upgrade got the phone at the fully subsidized rate with a new 3 year contract (and they had to have a data plan). Whether Rogers does that again, they haven't announced yet.

6. SkottDMD macrumors 6502

The upgrade you would be eligible for is for a non-smartphone. As of April you can only upgrade to a smartphone every 24 months, or to a non-smartphone at 12 months. If you want to upgrade on Friday and you are not eligible you can either buy the 3GS outright (at a price TBA) or add an additional line to your account and get the $199/299 pricing. You have 30 days (or 30mins of use on the phone) to cancel but as far as I'm aware this requires you to return your device. If you sign up for a new number and want to cancel there will be a $400 ETF applied. Either way the phone (at least 32GB) isn't going to be any cheaper than $699CAD so adding another line and canceling may be the cheaper way to go.