No Leopard Beta seed for ADC members?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cowm007, Jun 11, 2007.

1. cowm007 macrumors regular

Just got a chance to skim through the WWDC Keynote details and noticed that the Beta won't be available to us through the ADC site. Anyone else pissed that as a select/premium member, you don't get access to the beta seed? I run a few servers on OS X and OS X Server so I joined the ADC to get a chance to test the new versions of Apache/Postfix/etc and ensure compatiblity. Is this a common thing for them to do?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I am VERY pissed and am going to let Apple know.I PAY for this..

3. winterdude010 macrumors regular

winterdude010

You must have missed the memo...Apple is releasing the beta to ADC members later this week.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Please direct me to "the memo".

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Me too - I was about to re-up after a year or so off, but not if I won't get the latest... I'll just wait if not.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Can't find the transcript now but didn't Steve sayt they were going to do a tightly controlled seed distribution?

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Really keeping a lid on the OS this time...maybe they should just do a Public Beta, so we can all be happy!

9. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

Does anyone know if the conference attendees got their goodie bags today, or do they get them at the end of the week?

Also, i wonder what build they will be up to? You know ... so i can mark it on my calendar. :rolleyes:

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We're looking into where that comment came from, as neither szark nor I heard it or (obviously) transcribed it. A quick review of the keynote video also suggests that Steve never made the comment. No other site covering the keynote mentions this either.

I suspect it was an error by Ben from MacSlash, who was also transcribing for us. Either that or gremlins.

I think developers who aren't at WWDC can rest assured that they'll be receiving copies in due time. Those at the conference picked them up today immediately after the keynote. Bags were picked up with registration...they only included t-shirts and programs.

11. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

I just recently ponied up for the Select membership last week, knowing that I'll be getting a Mac Pro in the next few months, am interested in OS X Server, and of course Leopard. (And yes I am a software developer by trade, even using macs at work :) ). So I'm definitely interested to find out whether or not the Leopard Seed is going to be passed out to us. I got the impression from Jobs once during the Keynote that it was only for WWDC attendees....but hopefully they won't leave the rest of us out.

I'm just dying to try the .Mac feature of being able to access securely our Macs all over the place...a very welcome replacement for using sshfs when working from home, I hope.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I thought I read something about it being "for now", but that the rest of us who couldn't attend could download it later on. Eventually. Can't seem to find it now, but I assume it is coming. Patience I suppose.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The WWDC promos were saying something to the effect of "Leopard Beta available first at WWDC". Available first, not available only. I assume it's coming :)

Did the last Leopard alpha work the same way? If I recall correctly, it was released on DVD at the keynote but wasn't added to Connect until a little while later.

14. ozthegweat macrumors regular

IIRC, at last year's WWDC the Leopard build was available a few days later on ADC.

15. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Few days... more like a few weeks.

16. nomore macrumors member

I'm a Select ADC member, and the current 9A140 build is FAR too buggy. XCode 3 is constantly crashing, even the documentation reader crashes if you use it too quickly.

Steve's quote was after he showed Safari 3 on Windows.

If they don't release a seed on the ADC site soon, it will really piss me off. I paid £319 for the ADC membership last month to develop my application using Core Animation, and am having a lot of problems with stability issues on the current seed.

17. cowm007 thread starter macrumors regular

I emailed the ADC guys on Monday asking for clarification, still haven't received a reply yet. I'll let you guys know what they say as soon as they do.

18. N9YTY macrumors newbie

This Bites

Same thing here, company sprung for the $500 "Early Access" program, apparently it means early access to what we deem you worthy of getting, not everything we have to give. This should cause riots in the streets... I mean, it's not just the WWDC TAX of having to pay the extra admission to get what the ADC membership should have already given you, but what if your schedule just simply did not allow you to be there, so you are denied being able to test your apps with the latest? This royally sucks.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, as Nermal said, it clearly says "available at WWDC first" on the dev site. We'll get it. Of course we'll get it. Just not yet. WWDC isn't even over yet guys. Chill, it'll come. ;)

20. cowm007 thread starter macrumors regular

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for contacting the Apple Developer Connection regarding Mac OS X Leopard.

Please know that WWDC07 attendees received a beta copy of Mac OS X Leopard.

We have not made any further announcements regarding the availability of the beta version of Mac OS X Leopard.

Please stay tuned to our email broadcasts and the WWDC website for any further announcements.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure what to make of that, but i'm guessing it won't be available for a while. So now we just wait...

21. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

That is the EXACT same response I got from ADC last year and a month later it was on the ADC website.

22. cowm007 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, it's good to hear from some more experienced ADC users what the trend is. I'm sure they have good reasons to only make it available to WWDC attendees first (keep leaks to a minimum, get some good feedback from the biggest developers). As long as we have access to it within a month I'm good. Two months is enough to ensure compatibility with our network.

23. basicfiend macrumors member

24. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

The early start kit isn't really a kit. It is a set of downloadable resources, which includes the ADC seed builds. It is more marketing and additional resources (like being able to use iTunes to get at WWDC materials) than it is anything truly new.

25. nomore macrumors member

Some of the recent ADC seeds, such as the Java SE 6, posted yesterday, require the WWDC beta to work... so Apple are really not honoring the paid ADC members properly.