No Leopard "Up to Date" on refurb. purchases???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rajah22, Oct 16, 2007.

1. rajah22 macrumors newbie

I was excited to see that Apple was offering a free update to Leopard for qualifying purchases after October 1. Problem is, buying a refurbished MBP for $2599 isn't a "qualifying purchase". I bought it on Friday, and it's on the FedEx truck for delivery right now.

I don't think it's the least bit fair that Apple has decided to brand refurbished products as "Good as New" on the site, but then leave those products out of the Up to Date program. Combine that with the fact that I spent about $2k more than someone who bought a "New" Mac mini, and they're eligible for the upgrade when I'm not, and I'm upset.

I already called in, voiced my displeasure, and logged an official complaint. I doubt it will get me anywhere, but it can't hurt to try.

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Write and voice your displeasure to sjobs@apple.com

3. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

Apple will ship the OS that came with that model - if you want to ask them to upgrade they may depending on your order.

4. rajah22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried and failed. I was fully expecting to get it shipped with Tiger when I bought it, but I thought I'd be included in any Up to Date offering from Apple.

Any suggestions on how to talk them into a free upgrade?

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

tell them that you might cancel your $2500k order unless you get 10.5

simple

6. rajah22 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's on the FedEx vehicle for delivery right now. It's a little late to cancel, but I guess I could threaten a return.

7. mikeheenan macrumors 6502

Well technically, it IS up to date... you have the latest OS since Leopard isn't out at all. But I would agree that they should make the same offer for refurbished models like with their new models (when leopard starts shipping).

8. rajah22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm only using that phrase because that is what Apple is calling the promotion.

9. freewill macrumors newbie

Where does it say that refurbished purchases after October 1 are not eligible for the upgrade program?

I'm just not seeing it.

Thanks

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

'Qualifying" Macs. Refurbs have a different part number and don't qualify. Doesn't hurt to call and beg ask.

11. designweld macrumors newbie

I'm with ya

I have been waiting patiently to order my refurb MacBookPro today after hearing the release date... and just asked politely to make sure if the 'up-to-date' program was valid, and apple said not on refurbs... so I cancelled my order right then. Not sure what I should do now... need a new machine, wanted a good refurb deal and have that iphone credit burning a whole in my wallet...

12. vultureparade macrumors member

Well this is sad news. I was considering picking up a refurb as well, but not if Apple has this attitude.

13. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Would it kill you to wait 2 weeks 10 days then order a refurb with leopard?

There's also the possibility of new macbooks coming out soon (yeah right).

Alternately, when your tiger refurb arrives, sell the offical Tiger DVD on ebay or craigs list, and put that towards a leopard dvd. You might be able to pick up an official leopard dvd the same way.

14. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

Seeing as Refurbs sell for less then the retail price, Apple probably think you've saved enough as it is

their not gonna just throw discounts at you left right and center

Quit your whining :p

15. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

They are as good as they were when they were new. They are not necessarily as good as the current new models.

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Call and ask them politely.

Remember though, that as the apple store says about the refurbs for sale on their site;

"...includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system. See each products "Learn More" for more details..."

so you aren't even promised the most current version of the OS software, just what the computer originally shipped with.

Nevertheless, go ahead and call, be polite and hope you get lucky

17. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

When the FedEx guy arrives, simply refuse acceptance. This isn't a big deal. It just goes back on the truck and back to Apple.

I've never done this with apple but with other products I've ordered from other companies it usually just results in an immediate refund.

Then (if you have time to) you can wait for the refurbs to be updated with Leopard.

18. designweld macrumors newbie

Apparently it's been approved

Apple refurb store now has a banner that states you can get 'up-to-date' disks with your refurbished Mac purchase... I just ordered mine after canceling the order yesterday... looks like someone made things right in the PR department.

19. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah...

You COULD also take into account that you're buying an older, discounted computer and as such you shouldn't be entitled to the same perks that everyone who buys a new computer gets.

Just a thought.

20. designweld macrumors newbie

Yeah, well... Glad Apple is making these rules and not you. It's not like anyone is trying to scam, it's just nice to get the upgrade when you drop nearly two grand on a computer... even if it is discounted!

21. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it's nice to get something for free (or cheap) but who forced you into buying it with 10.4 on it? You apparently thought it was a fair enough deal when you ordered it without getting Leopard... Just sayin'.

22. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep

I concur. What's the price difference between a refurb plus the retail cost of Leopard compared to buying a brand new computer? I bet you still save a great deal.

23. jjo macrumors member

jjo

After spending $2600+ on a machine, an additional $109 (Amazon price) shouldn't be too difficult.

24. vultureparade macrumors member

Let's say you want to buy a Macbook Pro and you want to buy it from Apple so you can swap it out if you lose the roll of the yellow screen dice.

You have three options: You could buy it new for $1,999. You could buy it with your "student discount" or actual student discount for $1,799. You could buy a refurb for $1,699.

Now Apple has sale's tax. If you go with the cheapest option, the refurb, sales tax will be around $100.

So you're picking up a refurb for a total of $1,799, but wait, wait one second -- you now have to buy Leopard for an additional $100 or so dollars. So your total just went up to $1,899, about the same price as a brand new Macbook Pro with Leopard.

So I don't know what people are talking about when they say that it wasn't a big deal that Apple wasn't including refurbs in the Apple Up To Date program.

I'm just happy they came to their senses and fixed it.

25. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

That kind of logic won't fly around here.

Although I agree.

Besides, is it somehow a lesser machine because it has Tiger on it?