No LIBRARY folder in Finder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lugesm, Oct 20, 2013.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

My iMac has a LIBRARY folder in Finder. There is another (different) LIBRARY folder under the HDD.
    My MBAir does NOT have a LIBRARY folder in the Finder, but it does have one under the HDD.

I understand the LIBRARY folder in Finder is not the same as the LIBRARY folder found under the primary HDD.

Can anyone explain why it would be missing in the MBAir Finder?
    Is there a way to create such a LIBRARY folder in the MBAir Finder? When I try this, I get a message that the name "LIBRARY" is already taken.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

It's not missing, it's just hidden. In Mountain Lion Apple decided to hide it so that less tech savvy users couldn't screw anything up. Option click when in the Go menu option and you'll see it.

3. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

With Lion (10.7) the Library in your home folder is hidden by default.

To view it make sure Finder is selected, click on Go in the menu bar and hold down alt/option, the Library option will appear. You can then click on it to view your users library.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your Library folders are hidden by default in Lion and ML. To get to your /Library or /Users/yourusername/Library (also known as the ~/Library) folders in Lion and ML:
    • Launch Finder and click Go > Go to Folder and type: /Library or ~/Library
    • Hold the Option key while clicking the Go menu item, which reveals your ~/Library folder in the menu.
    • Make it permanently visible in Finder by entering the following command in Terminal, then press the Enter key:
      chflags nohidden ~/Library​
    • 18 ways to view the ~/Library folder in Lion

5. benwiggy macrumors 68020

For the sake of accurate terminology: Finder is the program that shows you your files.
    The Library folder is, by default, hidden in your User account (also known as user domain, user home).

So, you should have two Library folders, one at the root level ("under the HDD"); one in your user account: and you can view them both using the Finder!

Hope this helps. The other posts have dealt with how to reveal the user Library.

6. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Correct. I should have written "User Home" instead of Finder. Thanks for the correction.

To All: Thanks for your helpful comments. :)
    By the way: For some strange reason the LIBRARY folder is not hidden in my User Home Folder on my iMac. Definitely not something that I did to expose it.
    My iMac is running the same version of Mountain Lion as my MBAir.

7. Nickwell24 macrumors regular

If you'd like a permanent fix to this go to your terminal and type this:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

This will make it so the Library is no longer a hidden folder.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No, three. One in System as well.

9. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Well, yes. But attempt no landings there.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

However, it seems that sometimes software update (like 10.8.4 - 10.8.5) will re-hide the ~/Library folder, requiring doing the chflags again.

11. benwiggy macrumors 68020

There is a checkbox in Mavericks View options to show the user Library.