NO Lighting-SD Card Reader Support for 6+ Confirmed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lost Rider, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Lost Rider macrumors member

Lost Rider

Just like the title says, I just finished setting up my 6+ and was hoping that Apple finally added SD card reader support to import photos like on an iPad.
    When plugging it in I get the same "accessory not supported on this phone" message.

It's very disappointing considering how useful the 6+ would be to photographers for a mobile photo backup and review platform. I was really hoping to get rid of my Mini, the only thing I would want it for now is for photo import duties when traveling lightweight and making photos...
    Hopefully Apple will add this support in the future, anyone wanting it like myself I suggest sending in a request to Apple, who knows, if enough of us make noise....

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Other than that the 6+ is awesome!

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

3. jayenh macrumors 6502a

Well that saves me some time and money. I was just thinking about this the other day, I wanted to be able to quickly get some pictures off my camera while I was out and without my laptop and wondered if I should get the card reader to throw in my camera bag in case it happens again. I'm surprised to find that isn't an option.

4. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Sounds like there is going to be another Microsoft ad in the near future touting the SD Card slot in some Windows Phone.

5. Lost Rider thread starter macrumors member

Lost Rider

As they should...

Personally, even a feature as useful as a SD card reader wouldn't make me consider switching from my iPhone, but maybe it will help get Apple's attention enough to add this feature that already exists on far lower spec iOS devices. (My 1st gen Mini handles large RAW files just fine) It's not like they need to rewrite much software or change hardware.
    Just flip the switch ON Apple!

For my main camera (Sony A7) I can transfer photos via WiFi, but it's slower and more importantly uses up precious battery life on both devices when I'm out in the wilderness. I guess carrying an additional battery for the camera is easier than carrying my Mini that I want to sell anyways... But I still shouldn't have to use this workaround.

Anyone that wants to use a SD reader on your iPhone please take 30 seconds and send in a feedback request, it certainly can't hurt.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

6. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I don't know why Apple insists on this restriction.

The long-term solution (which is arguably more convenient) is just to go with a wifi camera or wifi SD card like Eye-fi. That transfers to the iPhone just fine.