No lightning to micro usb adapter included

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by universaliz, Jan 31, 2014.

1. universaliz macrumors newbie

The mobile industry agreed on an EU standard to charge mobile phones (with usb). I remember when Apple came out with an adapter that would allow a micro usb cable to charge an iPhone. I recently got an iPhone 5S, but did not find any adapter included so I suppose no one in the EU gets one. It seems that Apple doesn't have to comply with the standard more than only selling the adapter?

2. peterbaby macrumors member

This is work in progress, as far as I understand, the only binding rule for the moment is that the charger needs to have a USB plug, which Apple respects (and I'm not even sure about this is binding yet). The plug towards the phone is not regulated at all.

Just google to get more information, eg.:
    http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/proposed-eu-law-could-force-apple-to-change-iphone-charging-connector
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57604904-37/eu-wants-all-companies-ahem-apple-to-use-standard-charger/

My opinion? They won't standardise anything for years. USB 3 plugs are soon going to be there (Micro-USB plug outdated soon). Apple will continue to use their own port.
    Ultimately, I think they'll just enforce the situation as it is: regulate the power charger specs (as it is now, with a standard USB port), and leave the cable and phone port for the manufacturer to decide. Their ultimate goal is to allow and encourage manufacturers to NOT include the power adapter with the phones/other small devices, since the customers could reuse the ones they have.
    This will be good for the environment, annoying for some customers...and a good deal for the manufacturers.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple did promise to include an adapter but I think that won't happen until everyone is required to provide the micro usb plugs

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Apple did sign up to the micro USB adapter but it was not a binding rule and they chose to ignore it. However, a new binding rule was passed recently that requires all phones sold in the EU to have a single standard in the next two years. They did not specify the standard but required the vendors to come to an agreement. This time it is binding and no phone can be sold in the EU unless they provide the single standard.

I guess If apple wants to continue using their lightning connector they are going to have to persuade all the other vendors to adopt it