No Lion recovery DVD with new MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by tag, Aug 16, 2011.

1. tag, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

tag macrumors 6502a

tag

My buddy just bought a new MacBook Pro, and received it today. I was over his house an hour ago helping set up his network when he was opening it up and we found that it came with no Lion recovery DVD/CD nor any media at all.

Is this an oversight by Apple or do these new Lion MacBook Pros really not come with recovery software?

I'm going to give apple a call tomorrow to see if they will send out a recovery disc for the MBP. If they really aren't supposed to come with recovery media anymore I find this unacceptable. How are you supposed to get Mac OS X back onto your MBP if you say install linux or some other OS?

EDIT: Ok found some more information finally through google. Seems the software is stored in a recovery partition installed on the HDD. How would that work if the hard drive should fail or or if say I messed up formatting via fdisk or something. How would I get Lion back on without paying for it again? I find this pretty unacceptable in my mind as someone that installs random OS's at whims on my laptops.

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

-_-.

You should read. Everybody and their mother knows they don't come with disks anymore.

And no, if it fails they sell 69 dollar USB sticks if you have to use that; either that or you use the built in recovery partition (if the HD isn't shot) and if it is, you can also re-download the OS over wifi if something goes wrong.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You can create a USB recovery disk.

4. tag, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

tag thread starter macrumors 6502a

tag

Yeah sorry should have searched a bit more on this, I haven't paid much attention to Lion since I decided I really didn't need to upgrade. Still even if it is my fault messing up my partition or say my HDD fails, it would suck to have to purchase a USB stick with the OS on if I have already paid for it with my laptop. Not a big fan of this.

EDIT: Bah I keep missing replies before posting edits. Thanks OllyW. The USB recovery disk is a good alternative I suppose, still not a fan of not getting the media with the laptop, but better than nothing I suppose.

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Yea it suck. Apple is trying to simplify everything for the user. Instead of him/her misplacing the CDs or not knowing what they are for, they simply aren't there. If something goes wrong, chances are they probably bring it into the store anyway.

Also, you have to think about all the money/materials Apple saved by going digital download. They were able to release Lion when it was done (as opposed to burning millions of CDs and bundling them), save man hours putting those CDs in the boxes of already completed Macs, and simplifying the act of fixing a machine (instead of digging out SL disks and requesting people bring them in).

To some of us, it's a little more complicated to get the desired effects. To everybody else, it's awesome.

6. saulinpa macrumors 6502

So they didn't update the MBP EFI to add Internet Recovery? That's how they justified the mini and the Air not having media.