Resolved No login with username and password after FileVault

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by rbregt, Aug 8, 2011.

1. rbregt, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011

rbregt macrumors newbie

The other day I started using my new MBA with Lion preinstalled. I had set the login option to user username and password instead of a user list.

I then set FileVault to encrypt my disk.

Since then (I think) every time I reopen the lid or reboot I have to select my user by clicking the image and enter a password. Even though the login option is still set to ask for the username.

Has anyone experienced similar problems?

(I also cannot set my MBA to ask for a password other then immediately since starting using FileVault)

2. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Limitation of FileVault. It stores the keys needed for decrypting the drive in a user-specific bit on the drive. I think they just never thought to implement the login/passwd thing because that is mostly used in non-filevault-compatible login schemes anyway (network login and the like.)

This is on purpose to enhance the security of your machine. Because while it's running, everything is decrypted on-the-fly, the machine needs a way to lock attackers out if the machine is stolen while in sleep.

3. rbregt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm not sure if your answer makes me happy, but at least I now know why.

I have already submitted a bug report with Apple. Let's see if they intend to honor my feature request ;-)

4. phalseHUD macrumors regular

phalseHUD

Pleased I found this and hopefully Apple will change this soon...
    Sent my feedback to them anyway.