NO logon chime

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by lasloduncan, Nov 30, 2015.

1. lasloduncan macrumors regular

mavericks imac--all else ok--looked at the sound pref--don't see it, readily--so far better to ask, get right the first time, than for me to jerk around with stuff and screw more stuff up...should be an easy deal to an experienced chimer==thanks you where is the weaseler when you need him

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Umm, if I understand correctly, you're not getting the Apple boot chime on startup but everything else works OK?

If so:

1) turn off your iMac
    2) as soon as you press the power button to turn it back on, press and hold the following keys down at the same time: CMD, ALT, P, R.
    3) continue to hold down until you hear the Apple boot chime. You may see a black screen or brief flickers on the LCD.
    4) let go, it'll boot into the OS.

3. chabig macrumors 68040

Pick one:
    A. Your volume muted
    B. Your volume is turned down
    C. Your speaker is broken
    D. Something is plugged into your headphone jack

(I assume you mean the startup chime. Just logging in is silent)

4. lasloduncan thread starter macrumors regular

not to be aruguementive a b c -all ok speakers are plugged into the jack--imac late 2013--all else is ok ...vol good speakers good --odd- I think somehow it is settings however recently had it to apple for replace the display screen hinge ..which means they had to strip it...like i said all else ok so not a big deal just annoying--that stuff doesn't work as it should-

5. lasloduncan thread starter macrumors regular

6. chabig macrumors 68040

7. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Did you try resetting the NVRAM as suggested by keysofanxiety?
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

8. lasloduncan thread starter macrumors regular

I did not....an old guy new ish to mac have been trying to avoid "new and scary stuff" like that--but have read up on it a bit will watch some youtube tutorials etc and see what all it resets or whatever it does...as I said it is not hurting anything...the deal with reset nvram etc I always get some unintended mysterious new stuff that are more perplexing than the original deal...I may read up on the start up chimes some more also.. nothing worse than calling apple. they are pleasant, enthusiastic---and a lot dumber but more adventuresome than me....adventuresome cause it is not their imac ahhahah and they dont have to live with it. hahhe---thank you again

9. lasloduncan thread starter macrumors regular

ALL THANK YOU---THE LOGON CHIME HAS RETURNED---I have no explanation other than I unplugged the speakers and replugged booted a couple of times once or twice in safe mode...whatever-- it is present-- thank you for all you help I was going to do the nvram today...all is well thanks again-