No longer a Newegg Customer

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by squeeks, May 28, 2010.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

I bought a gigabyte video card from Newegg and it is defective, not wanting to take a chance and get another defective card i wanted to change brands, but newegg informed me this was not possible, i can not return the card for a refund of any kinda, only get an identical replacement.

Newegg used to be a model for customer service but this is no longer the case.

Amazon has started stocking most all of the same products im interested in from newegg so i will no longer be shopping with them

Just wanted to make everyone aware of this new return policy for one of the former great customer service companies.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's not true for most items, so unless yours is a special case you can indeed get a refund (subject to a 15% restocking fee) or an identical replacement. That particular policy has been in place for years, and is clearly spelled out in the FAQ on returns.

3. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

I had the same problem but was able to get a refund, although there was a restocking fee. Just have to call and talk to someone to get the return authorized.

4. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

Not true.

In the past i have always been able to talk to customer service and ask for a refund on a defective item so i can get a different brand. But they told me this time that that is no longer their policy.

As far as getting a 15% restock fee, that was the option i clicked first, yet ever though i only purchased the item 2 days ago the page told me my item was not available for refund.

So apparently newegg no longer accepts refunds. Once you bought it, its yours.

*Edit

I attemted to RAM a second order that i order yesterday and that one allowed me to refund the item, so i guess its only for some items...still not going to take the chance, not when i can order the same thing for the same price from Amazon

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's spelled out right there on the page I linked to and quoted. There must be some special situation that you are forgetting, ignoring, or neglecting to mention.

Clearly that's not the case.

6. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

This was last October, but it was the same policy. Online it said exchange for same card only, no refunds at all. The only way I could do it was by phone since the web site wouldn't let me do it. I called and explained I wanted to go with a different brand, and I was given a refund and then ordered something else from Amazon.

This isn't just a Newegg policy, though. I noticed that ZipZoomFly is doing the same thing. They seem to be doing that on new video cards that are in high demand.

7. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

You have a defective card which wasn't your fault and there is nothing you can do about it? That makes no sense. I would talk to another Newegg representative, sometimes stories change from one to another (was often true with Dell). In worst case, you can call up Gigabyte and RMA with them. Their warranty should still be good.

8. PenguinPower macrumors member

PenguinPower

You. Listen. I hate you.

Also, Gigabyte makes a number of good products that are still assembled in good old Taiwan. I have a number of video cards and motherboards from them that are still around without issues. You got a defective card, get the RMA, is it still isn't working tell them there is still a problem and you want to switch cards and they should do it.

You are thinking about this all wrong. All so very wrong.

9. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

I love gigabyte,I only buy Gigabyte motherboard, I figured a gigabyte video card would be a good match for it. But i guess ill stick with Sapphire

anyway

I managed to get a "one time" refund for "Store Credit" after talking to a live chat rep.

10. PenguinPower macrumors member

PenguinPower

Ugh....extrapolating from single data points.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Newegg's return/exchange policies are spelled out pretty explicitly. I feel for the OP but buyer beware. If there's special conditions attached to what you're buying you need to.consider that as well

12. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Why not just get the card replaced then sell on eBay or Craigs and get more than you paid for it on Newegg? Maybe a bit of leg work but surely more beneficial.

13. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I prefer shopping though Tiger Direct for any new hardware so far they haven't done me wrong. I have tried newegg once or twice but I never thought their service was anywhere near stellar--sometimes cheapest is not always best.