Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harlowgold1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Ohio - GO BUCKEYES!
I just watched a video review of the MacBook and MBP and they indicated that one can no longer add RAM without professional installation? Is this true!?!

Thanks - Jenny! :confused:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
from what i priced online you might as well buy the ram from apple.

if you buy it from apple, they keep your existing RAM. if you buy it elsewhere and install it yourself, you keep what you replace and you can sell it. not to mention that the price you see is only for new macbooks. if you want to buy only the RAM it's $300.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Turns out buying it from them is almost as cheap as buying it from a 3rd party source. If you buy theirs, it's covered under their warranty and you don't have to worry about changing it. Besides, selling the stock ram to recoup any costs doesn't really make sense since you won't get much for it in return.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Has anyone ever actually sold the stock RAM they've replaced in a Mac? I have a box full (well, ok, six sticks) of RAM I've pulled from my Macs, and I can't be bothered trying to sell them. I can't imagine I'd get much for them.

Since my wife's and my employer both have Apple store partnerships, we can currently get Apple-installed RAM for $135 compared to $140 from Crucial. Although I'm not in the market for a new Mac at the moment, I know what I'd do.

Of course, a couple months ago (and when I bought our Macs), it was different, when Apple RAM was 2x or more the cost of Crucial's RAM.

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
I would rather have an easy access HD than ram. I find, I swap out HD's more than I would ram.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.