No longer able to add RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Harlowgold1, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Harlowgold1 macrumors member

I just watched a video review of the MacBook and MBP and they indicated that one can no longer add RAM without professional installation? Is this true!?!

Thanks - Jenny! :confused:

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

No, you just need to remove the bottom cover to upgrade your ram. Not that hard to do.

3. island macrumors 6502

island

6 screws, just installed RAM in less than 5 minutes on my new MacBook.

Check out www.ifixit.com for photos on how to do it.

4. mshepherd macrumors regular

from what i priced online you might as well buy the ram from apple.

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

if you buy it from apple, they keep your existing RAM. if you buy it elsewhere and install it yourself, you keep what you replace and you can sell it. not to mention that the price you see is only for new macbooks. if you want to buy only the RAM it's $300.

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Turns out buying it from them is almost as cheap as buying it from a 3rd party source. If you buy theirs, it's covered under their warranty and you don't have to worry about changing it. Besides, selling the stock ram to recoup any costs doesn't really make sense since you won't get much for it in return.

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Has anyone ever actually sold the stock RAM they've replaced in a Mac? I have a box full (well, ok, six sticks) of RAM I've pulled from my Macs, and I can't be bothered trying to sell them. I can't imagine I'd get much for them.

Since my wife's and my employer both have Apple store partnerships, we can currently get Apple-installed RAM for $135 compared to $140 from Crucial. Although I'm not in the market for a new Mac at the moment, I know what I'd do.

Of course, a couple months ago (and when I bought our Macs), it was different, when Apple RAM was 2x or more the cost of Crucial's RAM.

8. marvel2 macrumors 6502

I would rather have an easy access HD than ram. I find, I swap out HD's more than I would ram.