No longer an administrator?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by infraorang3, Oct 26, 2007.

1. infraorang3 macrumors newbie

For some reason I installed Leopard on my MacBook and my username is no longer an administrator and I have no idea how to edit my system preferences or making myself an administrator.

2. chris.niziolek macrumors member

I am having that same problem. I am looking for a terminal work around to change yourself to an administrator. When I find it I will post it here. Anyone have this same problem?

3. buedrow macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem. I am working on it as well... let me know

4. wezley macrumors newbie

5. Donadio.j macrumors newbie

The First Solution Given Should Be This

The first solution given should be the following. I guess the disk works as well....but when I tried to reinstall my disks it asked me for the admin password, so didnt get me very far. Hence:

1) Activate single user mode on reboot as by pressing cmd + s as your computer starts up. Make sure you do it right away, and keep the keys pressed down.

2) Where the cursor pops up, type exactly

/sbin/mount - uw/
    3) When the next cursor pops up type exactly

passwd
    4) Then you can type any password you want (now changing the root password to be what you want)
    Note you will not be able to see what you type, but the text is being recognized

5)The computer asks for you to retype the password, retype it

6) Type reboot

Once the computer restarts you can navigate to system preferences>accounts> and then unlock the account (lock is located on the bottom left corner) using Username: root and the password you just set. Henceforth, you can appoint your account as the administrator. Hope it works!

PS- Google is a wondrous troubleshooting tool everyone!!! (Have posted this response to many posts already)