No longer eligible for headset upgrade after registering for FAN discount

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ctnguye3, Jun 24, 2008.

1. ctnguye3 macrumors member

Can you all do me a favor, if you have an AT&T FAN discount, can you check your AT&T account to see if you're eligible for a headset upgrade.

I recently register to AT&T premier account after finding out I qualify for an AT&T FAN discount, but after registering, I notice I was no longer eligible for a headset upgrade online (before I was).

However I am eligible for a device upgrade if I shop on AT&T's Premier online store, I just no longer have that option on the regular AT&T online store.

My question is, by signing to AT&T premier, did I just screw myself from buying an iPhone 3G for the subsidized price because it no longer says I am eligible (unless I go to the Premier store), I would imagine at the Apple store they will check to see if you qualify for a headset upgrade and if it shows you don't qualify, they would deny you....and if thats the case, how would I go about canceling my premier account and going back to normal...the discount is not worth paying for the full iPhone 3G unsubsidized price. Thanks

2. bigbarr macrumors member

Fan Discount

I wouldn't worry about it man. I bought the 1st iphone when it first came out. I recently registered for my FAN discount (GO USF BULLS) and it tells me I am ineligible to upgrade online as well. I called customer service today and they said I am good to go.

So worry not.

3. saxamoophone macrumors regular

What you should worry about is how awful the bulls played in the sunbowl last year...melt down alert! ;)

I kid, I kid :)

4. ctnguye3 thread starter macrumors member

Wow what a coincidence, I also go to USF and thats how I'm getting my Fan discount. :D

Thanks, that's nice to hear...I was going to buy it at the Apple store in international Plaza, but now I'm thinking about just getting it at the AT&T store near our campus (I'm just worry they won't have enough iPhones available compare to the Apple store).

5. bigbarr macrumors member

small world. I'm actually living in Illinois now, I graduated with my bachelors in 04 and did one year of my mba down there. Can you believe we only have 1 place in the entire area to get iphones. And last time they only had 15!

Small town.

6. ctnguye3 thread starter macrumors member

Heres an update my situation, since there's only two weeks left until the iPhone 3G is release, I wanted to make sure everything goes smoothly as plan I decided to call AT&T and make sure I was upgrade eligible for the iPhone 3G. (as mention in my original post, after applying for the FAN discount, I was no longer eligible for a headset upgrade which was strange).

The customer representative I spoke to said I was NOT eligible.....even though I have an iPhone (along with the data plan)! Obviously he had no clue what he was talking about...after about 40-50 mins talking/and being put on hold with him. I told him to remove my FAN discount to see if my eligibility status would change, he told me it wasn't going to do anything, but he did remove it at my request. And sure enough it went by to the way it was before, I am now upgrade eligible! I than call AT&T again and spoke to another customer representative, and they confirm I was eligible for a headset upgrade, she even offer to do it over the phone, but I told her I was getting the iPhone 3G.

If your eligibility status change after applying for the FAN discount, I would recommend calling AT&T and having them remove it, I'm sure you can apply for the FAN discount again after you get the iPhone 3G, which is what I plan on doing.

7. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I already had my FAN discount on my line prior to the updates that AT&T made for iPhone lines. Good to know though, I will make sure I don't make any account changes prior to 3G iPhone.

8. w4rmk macrumors regular

I had the same problem

I have had my employer FAN discount (15%) on my account for the past year. When I checked eligibility online today it said "unable to process request please contact customer service". When I called them they said I was NOT eligibile for the upgrade pricing on the new iPhone 3G. I argued with the women for 10min telling her that I purchased my iPhone in July of last year and I should be eligible. She said "I can only go by what my system says". I asked to be transferred to a supervisor who told me the exact same thing. After reading this post I called back and told them to remove my FAN number from my account, which they did with no questions asked. I then immediately logged into my account on their website and it now says I am eligible for an upgrade. I am going to stop by an AT&T store tomorrow to confirm with them for sure that I am eligible. This whole process is SO STUPID! They are screwing us valuable business customers. If I hadn't read this post I would have been required to pay $200 more to upgrade to the new iPhone on Friday! I am just going to call them back next week and have my FAN # put back on my account one I have already purchased my new iPhone 3G. What a stupid system...

9. ctnguye3 thread starter macrumors member

Nice to hear it work out for you w4rmk. :)

My status went from being eligible yesterday (July 9) to un-eligible this morning and now back to eligible..hope it doesn't change again, AT&T needs to get their act together