No longer sitting this update out, getting new mbp!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fongyuen, Oct 13, 2008.

1. fongyuen macrumors 6502

here's my rather long and tortured road to getting a new mbp once they are announced. as shown in my sig, i have a 2.4 SR which i just bought last year and is in pretty good condition, so there was no way i was jumping on the wagon for this update.

however, i did have a couple of dark spots on my hi-res lcd ever since i had the machine, came back from overseas for a year, took it to the apple store for something else, asked them about the dark spot and they were willing to replace the lcd, woohoo. dropped it off, waited a few days, came back, new lcd was great....until i checked the profile and noticed that it was the 1680 lcd, not the 1920 one. pointed it out to them, they ordered the new one, came back a few days later, they changed it...noticed at home that there were 5 dead/stuck pixels (my original one had none), called the apple store, they again agreed to change it for another one. that was last wk.

picked it up this morning with the 3rd lcd replacement by this point, inspected it at the store for dead/stuck pixels, sure enough, there were at least 4 of them. not sure why these replacement lcds seem to be more prone to have bad pixels. they agreed to swap it again, i waited at the store, 45 min later, came back with the 4th lcd, the genius showed it to me, did the dead pixel test with the diff. primary colors--perfect, no problems....until i checked the profile again cause i thought the text and menu bar looked kinda big...arrgghh!! 1680 lcd again!

i was pretty fed up, and apparently so was the manager at the store, so he said, forget it, just give him a new machine, swap out the hdd and give him a new mbp. then the genius who worked on the machine pointed out that it was a BTO, so they would have to order it, but reminded him quietly that they couldn't order a new one (presumably cause the new ones are being announced tmw). so i chimed in and said, if we could wait till tmw and this way, they can give me the new mbp when it's announced, and they said ok! swwweet! so they told me to bring my mbp back to the store after the announcement is made and take it from there.

well, that's my story, haven't gotten the new mbp in hand so i guess there's a chance it might not work out, but i'm gonna think positive. :) man, i love apple.

2. azharc macrumors member

Lucky fellow :) (as in, new MBPs, not strange multiple LCD derangements)

Have fun with the new MBP :)

3. cathyy macrumors 6502a

4. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

we'll have to see what happens tmw, not sure what will happen if no new 17 is announced :/

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, you lucky fellow; hope it works out well for you, and that you acquire your splendid new MBP soon. Great story, and may you and your [new] computer live long and prosper together.
    Cheers

6. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Sounds like no new 17 tomorrow but if not then the specs will be bumped so you'll at least get a larger HD & more RAM out of it. One rumour has the 17s as being buggy and they'll come later while another has them being phased out altogether. I doubt that'll happen but we shall see.

7. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

yup, so i talked to the genius today and he said they will order the old "new" 17" mbp for me. it's great though, i get to keep the great old styling, a 0.1 ghz bump, 4gb ram stock (tho i already had 4gb ram), a bigger hdd, and LED lcd! nice.

8. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

finally, after 3 weeks of going back and forth, Apple came through and got me a new 17" mbp and this one is perfect! (well, maybe 98%, backlighting for the W key is dimmer than the rest :p)

when i went to the apple store to pick up my new mbp, i checked the unibody mbp. i really wanted to like them since i was very impressed with the pictures that Appleinsider posted. while i loved the new unibody construction, i was ambivalent about the glass screen (even tho i have glossy screen too) with black bevel, and i didn't like the chicklet keys at all. typing on them feels ok, but i think it ruins the aesthetic appearance, making look "less-pro". i would've liked to have the 9600 (with potential for hybrid SLI in future), but i'm really happy with my new 17" mbp, thanks apple for salvaging a near lousy customer experience. =)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]