No longer store apps in iTunes!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I just realized another great benefit of iOS 5 being PC-free. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I will no longer need to store all of my iOS apps on my Mac!! It might not seem like a huge deal, but I currently have 20GB of apps on my Mac.

Fall can't come quickly enough...

2. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

im right there with you. i just recently went through all my apps and took out all the ones i dont use to store them on an external just in case i forget which ones i have downloaded. wont be needing to do that anymore :)

3. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Couldn't agree more.

And I'm also in the same boat as you. I have over 1,000 apps (Yes.. 1,000) stored on my iTunes/Computer. A lot of them I don't use anymore, and they are just taking up space.

4. seajay96 macrumors 6502

You've always been able to re-download previously purchased apps for free...as far as apps go, the only change that iCloud/iOS 5 brings is the "Purchased" list in iTunes and it's already here....so, what are you waiting for?

5. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I didn't think about that. 20 GB is a lot, that's going to save you some space alright.

I have been keeping my own list of every app I have downloaded for iPhone/iPad. It was a nice feeling being able to delete that. :)

6. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Be careful as you may lose some apps that are completely removed from the ITMS. This will prove useful for popular apps for me tho, I'll be clearing some of my apps. :)

Edit: I've just checked my purchase history and it seems that Tris (a ferris clone that was removed from the app store) is no longer showing on my purchased list. It was before. :(

7. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

You don't need to wait for fall, this works in 4.3.3 and iTunes 10.3.

8. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

You've always been able to access a list of all the apps you have downloaded, just previously it was hidden away and buried deep in your iTunes account information.

9. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Yes, I only keep 20 essential apps on my computer. No need to waste space.

10. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

So you are saying if I delete off my computer and sync my iPhone, it WON'T try to install the apps from my phone back to the computer? If this is the case,can all the apps still be backed up? What would be the point of keeping any apps on the computer at all?

11. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Not as you would think. Depending upon the size drive you already have installed, 20GB isn't very much space now a days.
    Example:
    You can now purchase a 2TB hard drive for about $69-$79 dollars. 20GB of that 2TB drive is about .009%. And if you have a 1TB drive, 20GB is .019% of that.

Mind you, I realize you may not have that much space installed on your system so if you have a smallish drive, that could be a much higher percentage. But with drive space being so very cheap (250GB/$35, 1TB/$54) now its hard not to have more space if needed.

But not using any space for your apps is a novel idea. Plus when/if your system crashes and burns, nothing lost. Very nicely done Apple.

12. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

I don't know. I don't use very many apps anymore. I only have about 10 on my phone.

13. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Well for me it is. On my 2007 mb I only have 120gb. So it comes in at a whopping 1/6 of my hard drive...

14. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Right, I understand. Many older systems have low sized drives. Thats why I mentioned how cheap it is to go get a newer larger drive.
    I don't think you can even buy a 80GB or 160GB drive anymore in most places.

15. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

So true. I have 7 GB of apps myself-- can't wait to get rid of them.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

How is it going to be any different than now? Just because it is PC-free doesn't mean it won't store a copy of the apps on the computer incase your phone crashes. Yes you can backup info to the cloud but I don't remember them saying any app data, also that means any time you try to wirelessly sync your phone or even plug your phone into sync it will look for that app to verify that it is there on the computer. You delete it off the computer, it will delete it off the phone...or make a new copy.

17. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

There is also the issue of having every app ever downloaded on that list, including all the free demos.

I will be keeping an acrchive of apps I don't currently use but plan on using again in a folder on the PC.

I would love if iCloud history allowed for a way to separate the apps you plan to redownload from the ones you will never download again. A folder system would work nicely

18. Mad Mac Maniac, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2011

Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

ummm.... if it backs up to the cloud why would you assume that doesn't include app data? That is the most important part of the backup IMO. and then I would just never sync to the computer. Or if I did sync iTunes may ask "There are some apps on your iPhone that aren't on your computer, would you like to transfer them?" like how it does now for music. Then I would just decline. If everything is backed up in iCloud there is no need to ever sync to iTunes. That's kinda the purpose of being PC-free.

But I guess we would need to ask devs if it's possible.

Yes I strongly second this. Between my iPhone and iPad I probably have 300 apps that I deleted. Probably 75% of them I would never want to download ever again. If apple made some sort of easy folder system it would be fantastic. I have 14GB of just apps on my iPhone. I could delete a bunch of the large games that a rarely(never) play, but keep them handy in case I decide to DL them again.

19. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

its definitely going to be really nice...you never really had to keep the apps on the computer if you could remember what you had, but now they give you a nice list of what you own so its very easy to skip the PC

20. mohammadmirza macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

It doesn't work that way. I have ALL my data backed up to icloud but when I delete an app from my iTunes apps section and plug in my iPhone it just copies the app back to iTunes.

21. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Solution. Don't plug it in?? We are pc free after all. I wasn't planning on ever syncing again

22. mohammadmirza macrumors newbie

Good point. I'll probably completely stop plugging in when iTunes match is out