No love for the 13" Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SisterRay, Jun 14, 2012.

1. SisterRay macrumors regular

Not hearing much about the new 2012 13" Macbook Pro. Is it now the unloved child of the Apple family?

No word on tech review sites. No iFixit teardown

What's the story?

2. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

Its cause it's the same old model, with a few minor upgrades - processor (and Integrated graphics), USB 3 and that's about it. Screen rez is now laughably low with the Retina 15" and the 13" Air's 1440x900.

Despite the fact that the 13" Pro makes up like 40% of Apple's laptop sales, there's not much love for the 13" Pro from Apple, so why should there be from the Press? LOL.

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

4. macgoober macrumors newbie

Not much happened to it this time around. Both the 15 and 13 unibodies were just refreshed with the Ivy Bridge chips, some bigger storage, and in the 15, better nvidia graphics. Same thing that happened in October and last February.

I really want to see if they bring the slim form factor, retina, and flash storage in a 13". I don't know if they can, without cannibalizing the MBA 13s sales. Should be interesting nonetheless.

5. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

its easy to not canibalize, just make it quad and give a dgpu to it.

6. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Here's the thing though. The average consumer doesn't care about a dedicated GPU and a quad core processor. In fact, the average consumer doesn't know what a quad core processor is... Apple has always been about visuals. They need to make it look different than the air. And not just uniform vs. tapered thickness.

7. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

The value of the 13" pro has never been lower. Especially since the 13" MBA now sells for the same price.

8. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Patience. Soon both shall be "one".

When that happens... Rainbows shall appear across Cupertino, little bunny rabbits will cease fornicating to frolic on Apple's lawn, unicorns will... eh, whatever.

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

If the 13" Pro survives, I would expect it to move up in price. Give it a discrete graphics card and a retina display, and price it at $1500 - $1800, essentially where the 15" used to start. It will appeal to power users who need a powerhouse, but value the portability of a smaller machine. The MacBook Air can simply become the MacBook, and the lineup roughly mirrors the old iBook/PowerBook lineup.

10. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

That is what I expect. I believe this is the last of the 13" and 15" non-retina MBP's that we will see. Next year we'll see a 13" retina and we'll be left with retina macbook pros and non retina airs. Eventually I expect the airs to get retina as well. But they'll be last.

11. MacConvert? macrumors newbie

I think a lot of apples more knowledgeable consumers might leave if the standard pro line is merged with the air. Personally, I'm not willing to pay thousands for a computer I can't upgrade; nor am I willing to pay the absurd apple markup for those upgrades.

Anyway I'm loving the 13'. I'm leaning that way, one reason being the upgrade ability. I also tend to think the retina thing is a bit of a gimmick but whatever

12. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Considering the price premium they could charge for it, they'd love to cannibalize the MBA sales.

----------

The standard pro line is dead. Not this year, but next. Count on it.

13. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I really hope so. Although this would make it really hard to pick between the 13" Air and 13" Pro for people like me... :D

14. colour macrumors regular

We all know that the 13 MBP is the most popular, we all want a 13 MBP with dedicated graphics and yet apple disagrees with us. As someone stated if the 13 did get a dedicated graphics card it would really boom sales.

They are making airs which are relatively quick and do well in benchmark tests but most people want a laptop like the current 13 MBP with all the ports you want and customizability. Most people don't want to compromise on ports and features and size. No way near as many people run air's as their main machines as people who run 13 inch MBP as their main machines. Apple should wake up to this.

15. Mizzou02RS macrumors member

I have plenty of love for the 13" Pro...it's a great value for the money. :)

16. HighTopFade macrumors regular

HighTopFade

I have plenty of love for the 13" MBP. I need lots of storage space in a small package, but can't afford a SSD habit yet. My 2009 has been very good to me. My 2012 should be a lot better after I upgrade to a 750GB Momentus XT.

17. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I love my 13" MBP! With 16GB RAM, this thing flies!! And, I'm still on a 5400 rpm HD!!

Can't wait for the Sammy 830 series 512GB SSD to drop in price! :D

18. Geo411m macrumors regular

I agree, I love my New 2012 13" MBP with 8GB RAM and upgraded Samsung 830 256GB SSD. This thing is beast.

19. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

The thickness of the new retina 15 is almost there so a merge is certainly possible (and very soon). It all depends on how much aesthetic value Ive and Apple puts on the wedge design the Airs have. That in itself is somewhat limiting.

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that all macbooks will be sealed and the innards off limits.

This is a big factor. Personally, I'd be willing to pay an extra 10-15% Apple tax on extra RAM and SSD storage just so I don't have to do them myself but not the prices I'm seeing now.

Careful. There was a time people thought Apple, now the largest company on the planet was a "gimmick". :D

20. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

You are not hearing much love about the new MBP 13" because Apple themselves didnt give it much love. The MBP 13" has fallen too far behind the other Apple laptops.

21. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

Well, I'll tell you that I'm very happy with my new '13. More than enough for my general needs; and while it's not a huge update over the older ones, (If I had a 2011, I would not get the newer one) it is faster and is still a great machine.

22. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

The biggest problems the current Pro has going for it is that it's actually cheaper (barring special deals) to get the Air than a comparatively spec'd Pro, and of course, the resolution (not necessarily the quality of the screen, just the resolution). I'm not going to lie, the price differential being in favor of the Air, along with the superior resolution, is making my decision between the two this generation a lot harder than I anticipated.

I personally feel the Air is the superior machine for the majority of consumers out there, but for those that can take advantage of the unique traits of the pro, then it's a no brainer (I feel these people make up the minority now though).

That being said, it's funny because while I was messing around with the Retina Pro at the store today, a young couple came in and the guy was trying to show off how great the Retina was compared to the older MBPs. She didn't like the retina because it didn't have an optical drive. He replied that she never uses the optical drive anyway (she had no retort to this and changed the focus). She then replied that it was too "thin" and didn't have that heft to it, while he just rolled his eyes and gave up realizing it was a pointless fight.

I'm pretty sure an air like machine would be better for her overall, but that's clearly not what she thinks, lol, regardless if she's right or wrong.

23. osiris24x macrumors member

osiris24x

I completely agree with "Soon both shall be one", and that's when I'll likely jump on the upgrade path. When all (or nearly all) of the portable lineup lose their optical drives and get better GPUs, 13" MB sales will skyrocket. Until then, I'm hanging onto my trusty 2.1 GHz C2D 13" MacBook. Its seen better days, but keeps on ticking!

24. SisterRay thread starter macrumors regular

I'm finding the decision really difficult too!

The problem I have is that I fully expect the non-Retina Macbook Pro to disappear next year.

Ok so maybe go for the Air. Non-upgradable, really need Apple Care. Also non-retina

I'm also wondering about the glued-in battery on retina-Macbook. When it wears out, I'm assuming Apple can replace it? iFixit did not want to force the battery in case they punctured it. Would the replacement be able to be done in store? It's not covered by Apple care

25. jhonnypolak macrumors newbie

I'm actually happy the resolution is 1280x800.
    It's a very nice resolution to work with. The icons aren't as small as on the 1400 rez and also watching 720p movies is a joy because they are also 1280... yes you do get 40 black rows of pixels on top and bottom but still... very nice resolution :)