No love for the 21.5??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iSlave, Nov 30, 2009.

1. iSlave macrumors 6502

What with all the recent cheerleading around the i5/i7 iMacs and their outrageous performance benchmarks - does anyone still love their 21.5 iMac?? Is anyone planning on buying one soon? Does it bother you that it's an 'outdated' Core 2 Duo, on a 'dead' socket? Are you bothered by not having a 27'' screen?

It seems everyone on this forum is gunning for the quad core in a massive way, I just wondered if anyone still loves the 21.5''...

2. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

Most people on this forum are enthusiasts with cash to spare. I believe the 21.5" is selling like hotcakes, but I could be wrong.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It probably outsells that 27" by a wide margin. The 27" is a beast that just hasn't been seen before with its huge screen and quad core processors. Its just so different that it generates a lot more interest.

4. No ice please macrumors 6502

They are all happy apple put a good processor with a good screen and a good monitor all into one for once at an all low price. I'd get a 21 inch one, they are rather nice lots of power in a small profile computer. Apple should have put the mobile core i7s in them or mobile quads.

5. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

I have a normal 20" and the 21.5" in a 16:9 aspect ratio looks smaller than my 20" and it looks soo ugly, all in my opinion of course.

6. agmetal macrumors member

I'm most likely getting a 21.5, or possibly the previous version of the 24. The 27 is outside my budget and is total overkill for me, anyway.

7. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

the 21.5 has more love, its just the people on here are enthusiasts who want the best of the best.... apple reported more 21.5 sales then 27 [​IMG]

8. JonTok macrumors newbie

I love mine

I sold my 20 inch and bought the 21.5 - it's perfect in every way; the screen is excellent for working on docs side by side, for photos, and for films the widescreen is first rate. The shape is great - I like the fact that it sits lower than the 20. The cheapest version comes with a beefy 3.06 processor + 4 GB RAM standard - which I happen to think is amazing. Finally, the 27 inch is too big for my needs - I'd get eyestrain I'm sure.

9. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

I've never owned a 20" or 24". For me, this 21.5" is great, both to the eyes and to job tasking level. :p

10. 22hand macrumors member

21.5" is great for me, the 27" configuration is cool while it's too big sitting on my desk. I have used 21.5" for few weeks, it's great!

11. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

By the next revision, the Core i3/ i5/ i7s should be standard across the whole iMac range so there should be more love for them then, even though I'm sure it's outselling the 27" even now.

12. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Even if the 24" was the biggest you could get I would never consider getting a 21.5". The 27" is just too good of value, believe me anyone that says it's "overkill" would probably take that back after 2 weeks of having one.

I had thought my 24" was overkill when I got it, but nowadays (about 1.5 years later) when i see the 20" I wonder how anyone can get by with such small amount of screen real estate.

13. rangers12 macrumors member

my 21.5

Very happy with my 21.5- it's a great size for me since I have a small desk. No complaints- very happy with the performance as well.:)

14. sanford macrumors 65816

The 27-inch looks incredible and is not particularly expensive in either configuration for what it offers. But it's like I see a 52" LCD HDTV and think, wow, that looks great. But we have a moderate-sized if not leaning to largish living room, and a 52" TV would overwhelm it. So we have a much smaller HDTV. If you watch TV, movies or play games all the time, though, something like the 52" is probably for you. Same with the 27-inch iMac, if you're doing a lot graphics work, or a lot of media development, sure. But I have a nicely sized Shaw Walker Skyscraper Tanker Desk -- some crazy person owned the place before us left it in the garage in nearly mint condition, buried under stacks of old shelving; took me almost five years to discover what I had out there -- and the 27-inch would overwhelm even that. If I ever buy a desktop Mac again, 22-inch display is about where I max out.

15. timothevs macrumors 6502

timothevs

Simply adore my iMac 21.5". Love the screen! More than adequate for all my day to day needs. I tried the 27" iMacs at the :apple: store, but found it just too big for my needs.

Edit on 12/04 - Redacted, really. The Screen shows HEAVY yellow tinge, and basically have decided to return the iMac for a refund.

16. Jpoon macrumors 6502

17. tco macrumors newbie

I have to agree that the 27 is just too big for my desk. I have a giant desk, but need to have my work laptop available. I actually took a tape measure to my desk and the 27 just didn't work.

I'd love the internals of the 27 in a 21.5 body....but in the end I went with a 21.5. Just checked and my order is "Prepared for Shipment" should see it next week.

18. ericw27 macrumors newbie

19. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

Yes most tech forums don't represent the general public. Apple's website says the MacBook sells more than the MacBook Pro so it's probably safe to conclude that the lower priced 21.5" sells more than the 27".

Also enthusiasts for any subject lust for the top end stuff but it doesn't mean they have one, can afford one, or actually need one...but they want one so there is a lot of discussions about it.

It is funny how times have changed. I remember those days when 19" was consider big. For me there is a point when big is too big. It's the same reason why I refuse to get a 17" MacBook Pro. 15" is the largest I'm willing to go on a laptop. I'm sure there some who want to actually put other things on their desktop besides their monitor. ;)

20. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

While I would have bought the 27" iMac over the 21" because I do have the cash to spare, not everyone has the money or need for i7 processors. I bet that more than half the people on this forum who have i7 iMacs don't utilize it at all. I'm not talking HandBrake FPS numbers but real stuff like 3D rendering, Final Cut, Logic, etc.