No LTE for AT&T 2 gig plan

plathunter

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Spent the last two hours with severeal different people at AT&T and it appears that while they can transfer the 2 gig data plan over to the Ipad 3 they can't transfer it with LTE access.
I was unsure before this if I should get the verizon ipad or stay with AT&T. Now AT&T just made my decision easier. I am going to go to the Apple store later today and exchange for verizon.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Spent the last two hours with severeal different people at AT&T and it appears that while they can transfer the 2 gig data plan over to the Ipad 3 they can't transfer it with LTE access.
I was unsure before this if I should get the verizon ipad or stay with AT&T. Now AT&T just made my decision easier. I am going to go to the Apple store later today and exchange for verizon.
I'm pretty sure I saw the 2GB LTE option on the signup screen on the iPad. Did you try that?

CORRECTION: 250MB, 3GB and 5GB (and Unlimited for those grandfathered in). All options with LTE access. No 2GB option. Sorry.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Let me see if I understand this...

AT&T won't let you transfer the grandfathered 2GB for $25 plan and get LTE, thus forcing you into a 3GB for $30 plan. Because of this you're going to switch to a Verizon iPad to get a 2GB for $30 LTE plan?

Or are you always using less than 1GB, thus looking for the $20/mo Verizon plan? If you're using 1-2GB it doesn't make sense to go to Verizon for their 2GB/$30 plan

@ZBoater: used to be a $25/2GB plan before February on AT&T that stayed live if you kept it up.

plathunter

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

deeddawg said:
Let me see if I understand this...

AT&T won't let you transfer the grandfathered 2GB for $25 plan and get LTE, thus forcing you into a 3GB for $30 plan. Because of this you're going to switch to a Verizon iPad to get a 2GB for $30 LTE plan?

Or are you always using less than 1GB, thus looking for the $20/mo Verizon plan? If you're using 1-2GB it doesn't make sense to go to Verizon for their 2GB/$30 plan

@ZBoater: used to be a $25/2GB plan before February on AT&T that stayed live if you kept it up.
I average around 700 mb a month so for 30 I will stay with 2 gig and get hotspot with Verizon

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
I average around 700 mb a month so for 30 I will stay with 2 gig and get hotspot with Verizon
Fair enough. I've pondered the same thing. AT&T needs a 1GB option, the 250MB is B.S. But so is the 2GB/$30 on VZW, especially if doing any tethering at all.