No Luck Using iDVD 7.0.3 with Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by giantmuh, Feb 15, 2009.

1. giantmuh macrumors newbie

I have done all the recommended updates, but my iDVD still crashes, giving me the "Unexpectedly Quit" message after starting it either through iMovie or separately, while running Leopard. When I start up with Tiger (from an external drive) iDVD runs fine, but it is a pain to restart every time I want to use iDVD. Ideas?

(iDVD 7.0.3, OS X 10.5.6, PowerPC 2Ghz iMac 20-inch with 1.5 GB memory. Plenty of free space on the startup volume.)

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Create another user account by accessing Account preferences and entering your computer password after clicking on the padlock. Make sure its an administrator user. Log out, login to the second user. Launch iDVD (or try to). Does it quit? If yes, you will need to uninstall/reinstall iDVD. If not, return to the main user, go to (home)/Library/Preferences and pull the iDVD plist to the Desktop (this will make it forget the project you may have been working on), and also the Caches folder (also in Library). Restart, relaunch.

3. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

explanation

essentially, the test above will tell you weather the problem is with the application, or the home folder. That can be useful for any application that doesn't start/load

4. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I believe the themes are handled differently between OS. In one version, the themes are stored as part of the system library, in the other it has moved to the user area. Try trashing your preference list as well.

5. giantmuh thread starter macrumors newbie

iDVD Still No Go

On Apple's advice I had already trashed all the Library Prefs in both the Home Folder and on the hard drive. I have also updated iDVD several times. No dice. Also, I tried adding a second user and it still crashed just like before. I need to download a fresh copy of iDVD. Can someone point me to a URL? Thanks. -Richard

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Why would you need to download one from online if you have your install disc? Your post doesn't indicate whether you upgraded to 7.0.3 with iLife 09 or from a software update from iLife 08. Uninstall iDVD by first pulling the application, themes from (home)/Library/Application Support/iDVD, and iDVD's related receipts from within the Macintosh HD/Library/Receipts. Insert the iLife 08/09 disc, customize the install to put iDVD back on there, check for an update.

*By the way I hope you didn't have your Mail account set up using the Mac Mail application, pulling your entire personal preferences folder is a bit extreme (that agent should have known better) and probably cleared your email account settings. I pray you only pulled them to the desktop or made a backup copy first. Might be a bit of a longshot but if you still have a Mail folder inside (home)/Library, back it up before you launch Mail since pulling the plists.

7. giantmuh thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple advised me to trash the iDVD prefs, not the whole prefs folder in each location, so nothing else was affected. As far as reinstalling from the iLife disc, no dice - I no longer have the disk. -R