No mac for me :-(

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kpdillon, Jul 31, 2011.

1. kpdillon macrumors member

I went out and bought the new 2011 macbook air 13. Then I thought, hmm. Maybe what I really want is the macbook pro 15". I have both in my possession and I absolutely love both.

On the Air
    - I love the portability of the macbook air
    - I love the speed of the SSD
    - I love how I can hold it in one hand
    - I love how I can hold it on my lap and it doesn't get too warm
    - I love the back light keyboard

On the Mac 15" Pro
    - I love the deeper colors (no washout of the screen)
    - I love the extra desktop space
    - I love the solid feel of the metal casing
    - I love that I can add an SSD later if I want
    - I love the back light keyboard

I can't decide which to keep. So both will likely go back to the store. Apple has me pinched between the two. I wish I could afford both. I am bummed but if I end up keeping one over the other, I don't think I will have concluded in my mind that I made the right choice.

It's been a pleasure having both this week. It's going to be hard going back to using my crappy Thinkpad.

2. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

Hate to hear your having a hard time deciding. I do the same thing sometimes.

My vote is keep the air :p.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

If you prefer either of the Mac to your Thinkpad, then why not choose one? Is it really better having a computer you hate rather than choosing between two that tempt you for different reasons? You can't have everything you want so you are willing to accept nothing? If you really want a Mac, then figure out what you like more and keep that one.

4. nebulos macrumors 6502a

nebulos

i was in a similar situation once:

i met these two girls at a party. they were both insanely hot and totally wanted to hook up with me. i made out with one for a while, then with the other. they were both so hot, i couldn't decide. after thinking it over, i just went home and had predictable sex with my cardboard wife, again.

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

rofl!

OP: If you thought about it hard and you still can't decide, just flip the coin. Seriously. Either of those machines is going to serve you better than what you have now.

6. mkflyfish macrumors member

mkflyfish

7. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Sounds like you need the rumored upcoming MBP.

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

9. mac jones macrumors 68040

10. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

i've had a 11" mba for a week and i am not looking back. i went from an 06' MBP.

for the washed out screen part, since i don't have any other machines, i don't notice the washed out colors. honestly, even if i compared it, it wouldn't make me take it back.

for my uses, internet, music, minor photo edit, its perfect. can't beat the portability. i might buy an external to go with it. i think if you keep the air, you'll get used to it (unless you have other machines). i just can't justify taking a tablet over a full blown computer.

11. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Ya, it does.

12. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

Maybe a 13" Pro 8GB Ram with an SSD (you never mentioned storage space) :D

13. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Keep the Air!

We're replacing all the MBP's in our offices with 13" Air's.

14. FAsnakes macrumors regular

15. kpdillon thread starter macrumors member

All, thanks for the friendly responses and humor! Much appreciated! I think ProwlingTiger nailed it! :)

I would really give the 13" macbook pro consideration if it offered higher resolution but it doesn't. On the 15" macbook pro I am using the hires and absolutely love it.

Seriously though, these are great machines and so much fun to work on! I do a least have an iMac that I can still use when at home at my desk.

16. Durious macrumors 6502

confused on this one I thought you couldn't return hi-res (i.e. custom) models?

17. kpdillon thread starter macrumors member

I think Apple lets you return anything you buy in the store within 14 days, right? They sold me the hi-res. I couldn't change any options.

18. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

I would keep the Air now, then once that rumored MBP comes out, sell off the Air and get the pro. Every laptop that Apple makes is going to continue to go down in storage and up in portability.