No Mac Pro Apple remote sensor-- possible to utilize the iPod dock's sensor?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jshbckr, Jun 12, 2007.

1. jshbckr macrumors 6502

I was wondering, the latest iPod docks have remote sensors so you can utilize the remote when viewing videos or pictures on your television. My new mac pro is my first Apple computer since my 15" PowerBook from 2005. Since 2005, Apple has added Front Row, built-in webcams, and all those goodies. However, with my new Mac Pro, I miss out on all of them.

Now my question is: Is it possible for the remote sensor on the iPod dock to be utilized through USB onto a computer that lacks a remote sensor?

2. D3LM3L macrumors regular

D3LM3L

Unfortunately it's not possible to do so. A reasonable solution however would be to buy an IR receiver such as the Mira.

Good luck!

3. jshbckr thread starter macrumors 6502

I know that the function of the dock does not allow the sensor to be used, I've got the dock sitting here, but I'm not sure if you are responding the same way I'm taking it... Are you saying it's not possible to use the dock as a remote sensor (as in: not a feature of the dock), or are you saying that it's not possible physically within the dock (maybe due to the sensor not being wired to the USB)?

4. jshbckr thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, are there any less ugly IR receivers out there?

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

The mira is the only one i know of. Its pretty small so you can hide it pretty well. It also has good reception so you can even stick it out of line of sight if you still pretty close to the computer. I just tried it and i can be 8 feet away with it out of line of site and it works fine. And thats as far back as i can go in this room. So i am sure you can work with the mira if you don't like it visible.