NO Mac Pro for you !

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Alpinism, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Alpinism macrumors regular

Amazing how this so called Company for the Creative, just completely sold out to consumer electronics (iPhone, iPod, iMac ...etc).

If I am not mistaken it has always been us, the creative Pro (Quark, Final cut studio, Logic ...etc) that kept Apple afloat during her trouble times.

At this rate, I don't think a new Mac Pro will be available until Mac World 2008. Of course, I would be very happy to be proved wrong.

2. Feverish Flux macrumors regular

Don't suppose you remember the bad old days when we used to go a year between simple speed bumps (Motorola), do you?

If you need a machine now, the current line up is more than capable of doing what you need it to.

If you're a speed (GHz) whore, you pay the price of always waiting for the next best thing, which probably won't do anything more than stroke your ego, much less get any real work done.

3. Alpinism thread starter macrumors regular

Go render a simple scene in VUE and get back to me and maybe I will listen to your unfounded lecture on speed.

Sure, a 1983 Datsun still gets you from point A to point B. The money that have to be invested in faster GPU pays back quickly in terms of time saved. Of course you wont be able to understand this notion if you are not a pro that earns a living out of this.

4. waremaster macrumors 6502

Myself.. I will just settle for rendering in Maya and Solidworks while you wait around.

5. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i dont think anyone elese is releasing computers with the new xenon until january, i assume the same reasons that effect hp / dell etc effect apple, maybe not quite enough dev time or supply needs.

6. Feverish Flux macrumors regular

Other companies build faster machines. Put your $ where your mouth is and go buy one if the time-cost savings is crippling your business.

And by the way, there is nothing worse than a creative professional that goes tossing the badge "pro" all over the place in order to try and get people to take them seriously. Real pros don't have to. ;)

7. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Thanks for starting another thread on this. I don't think anyone has discussed this in this forum yet.

8. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Amazing don't you think???

Back in 1988 I had a Macintosh II, think that was an 8MHz machine. I ran ALL the pro applications on that machine......forward to 20077:

My last computer was a 1.25MHz G4 duelie, my new machine is the 2.8 iMac extreme! None of my current PRO applications have any issues with this consumer computer, in fact I do not wait for anything to happen, nor do I ever get a spinning beachball......

So I think your out to lunch on this one mate! Any mac pro will do what you want it do do and more.....

9. Alpinism thread starter macrumors regular

Sure, real Pros go around calling others speed whore and ego stroker. Those are real good traits for a business pro in this service natured industry.

10. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

What are people expecting from the new Mac Pro? It's not going to be that much faster. A better GPU would be nice.

I think people are hoping for the kind of speed bump that there was between the Powermac G5 and the Mac Pro... it's really not going to happen.

11. Feverish Flux macrumors regular

Fail to see where I specifically targeted you as one of those, but whatever, everyone else sums up the way I feel about your complaints on the Mac Pro.

I think we're due for a major form factor change and it will be worth the wait, but like I said, the current line up will do most anything you need it to. Or you can go buy from another vendor if they have something that will do it better.

Cheers.

12. peejack macrumors 6502a

2007-08 prices???

13. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

You should do some research before you walk all over your keyboard and output crap.

I suppose I explain why. Most people here are looking at the base model. Based on Penryn pricing we can expect to see a dual quad 2.83 machine in the base model. Which means the base model will peform better than the current octo.

Now, if we want to go by the octo model, you are right it won't be that much faster. I don't think anyone here has ever debated that. I ask you this. Why the heck should I pay $4000, to get the fastest Mac right now, when I can wait (til Macworld) and get a faster machine for $1500 less?

The speed bump when going from the current base model to the new base model will be significant. And believe me, the current octo is hardly on my radar, which is why I am waiting and that is why most others are waiting.

In short VALUE FOR MONEY.

Also, Feverish Flux. It is pretty clear that you are making assumptions about what kind of power the OP needs. Further, no one is saying that the current machines are not great or that they won't do anything. There is simply more reason to wait than there is to buy one now.

14. Alpinism thread starter macrumors regular

We are running 2 old G5 right now. We also have a core duo 17" MBP and a 15" MBP core2duo for our on field use. Finally we have 1 Dell workstation for our Premiere Pro and After Effects user.

A new 2X Quad core with new GPU will be a happy upgrade for us. We also talked to BOXX for their render box solution but still contemplating in building cheap LONUX boxes in house or leasing the $ 15k BOXX render box.

We are not a big studio. Sony in CA has a city block with nothing but render farm. Buying the current Mac Pro makes absolutely no sense for us now. The tech is too old and most importantly, the future resale price of this old MAC PRO will take a big hit once the new generation Mac Pro is out.

Now, if I have a job to do next week and i need a Mac Pro, then Yes, the new Mac Pro can handle whatever jobs that is out there now. Just remember, the current Mac Pro is at the end of its life cycle.

I personally think that, if there is going to be a new Mac Pro before Mac World 2008, it will be announced next week after Black Friday. No sense to give discounts to new Mac Pro and I think this is the final push for Apple to sell the current Mac Pro before introducing the new Mac Pro generation.

15. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

Black Friday (Not for Pro's)

Wouldn't make a difference, Black Friday doesn't apply to PRO products. At this point its only going to come out early next year.

16. ksz macrumors 68000

I don't expect real-world apps to run more than 10 or 15 percent faster on Penryn than on existing Woodcrest or Clovertown. Newly compiled (or patched) apps that take advantage of SSE4, however, may see up to 30% improvement in certain tasks. Some of us are expecting unrealistic performance gains.

My own reasons for waiting...

I. Updated Design & Ergonomics:
    a) Possibly a new form factor (hopefully a more space-economical one).
    b) Energy efficiency -- being able to run cooler and more quietly.
    c) New Cinema Displays with matching design.

II. Updated Technology Stack:
    d) PCIe 2.0.
    e) Mid-to-high end graphics card as an option (e.g. nVidia 8800GT).
    f) USB 3.0 (doubtful this will appear in 1Q08).
    g) 10 Gigabit Ethernet.

III. Updated CPU and Bus:
    h) 1600 MHz FSB.
    i) 45nm Core 2 with tweaks here and there (including performance improvements for virtualization, which should help VMWare Fusion and Parallels).
    j) New memory controller.

IV. Features I think are missing in the current design:
    k) eSATA.
    l) Hardware RAID (mucho expensivo RAID card doesn't count when onboard RAID is so cheap).
    m) Blu Ray option.

Hence, I expect only modest gains in performance, but significant overall improvements in design, features, and technology.

17. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I can wait for 2008. Sure, i needed it yesterday, but I look forward to the new upgrade in jan08.

18. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Yeah.... A reported 20% increase, new (not three year old) video cards, faster FSB isn't going to equate to faster overall performance. :rolleyes:

You clearly need to spend more time in the Mac Pro forum......

19. OnePumpChump macrumors regular

OnePumpChump

For real? $1500 less? That alone is enough for me to wait!:D Where did that $ figure come from?

20. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

To get an octo it is a $1500 upgrade. If the new follows the pattern of old, the Mac Pro will be all octo, even at the base model which is $2499, meaning you will have an octo Mac Pro that performs as good or better than the current one for $1500 less.

21. OnePumpChump macrumors regular

OnePumpChump

Ahh, very good!:)

22. weblogik macrumors regular

23. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

have you considered that maybe Intel can't produce chips fast enough??

There are a lot of companies looking to buy up Penryn processors atm.

24. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Have you considered that Apple already has them?? Did you not see the posts that said Apple was stockpiling a whole lot of them?

25. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

FCP and Logic got some good treatment this year, Final Cut Server will most likely be shown in Jan, and Adobe seems to be showing a renewed commitment to the platform. Not a bad time for creative pro's, IMO.

Horses for courses. G4's running OS 9 still get work on cable and network TV shows out in LA 'cause not everyone needs blistering speed to get the job done. If Apple isn't meeting your needs that's one thing, but don't make it seem like Apple is leaving the entire creative field out in the cold 'cause that's far from the truth.

Lethal