No Mac Touch Screen's ? ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SevengerNC, Apr 21, 2015.

1. SevengerNC macrumors regular

SevengerNC

I've owned a Win Touch Screen for couple of years.
    Owned a MacBook Air for a year.
    I've often wondered why Apple doesn't make a touch screen laptop, and now I think I know why.
    I find it much easier to operate a lap with a mouse than reaching forward to touch a screen, and darn near impossible to move and work files with your finger. I almost never use my touch screen which makes me think it is a waste of money.
    That's why they make tablets.
    just sayin'

2. kemperman macrumors regular

kemperman

Congratulations, you just asked and answered your own post! :)

3. SevengerNC thread starter macrumors regular

SevengerNC

:cool:

Was just one of my daily musings

4. motrek macrumors 68020

Yeah, I don't see people using Windows convertibles (like the Surface) very much but when I do see them, they are basically never touching the screen.

Touchscreens are best for actions that don't require much precision. Swiping to scroll is a good example. But if you're on a laptop then your hand is probably already pretty close to the trackpad and you can swipe to scroll on that more easily than moving your hand up to the screen anyway.

5. SevengerNC thread starter macrumors regular

SevengerNC

I plan on using my Surface to replace my ailing Acer laptop - my pc is used mainly for editing photos & videos (haven't mastered iMov or a Mac editing photo prog). I picquet it much simpler to pick up and move into place when needed.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I would love to see Apple introduce touch screens on their laptops. At least give us the option so the hardcore Apple people do not get repulsed!

I use Windows and soon bootcamp will no longer support Win 7 Pro and users will be forced to use Win8/10. Touch screen would be nice.

7. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

If you've got an OS interface that's optimised for mouse and keyboard, a touchscreen is nothing more than a pointless gimmick. Apple have been making large strides with increasing the trackpad quality so you still have some fluid gestures that work well. IMHO I find that these gestures are much more intuitive, quicker, and even easier to use, than a touchscreen. Plus you don't have to reach over the keyboard to do them.

Putting in a touchscreen on a laptop is such a lazy answer to using your fingers to manipulate information. Apple's trackpads and software gestures absolutely trounce the competition - nothing comes close.

8. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

Couldn't agree more. I have never understood why someone would want to reach up and touch the screen when a beautifully designed trackpad is right there at your fingers. I guess its something like a larger screen phone, each person has their own preferences.

As an aside, it would be difficult to see how apple could develop a touchscreen laptop and make it thinner than the previous model (which seems to be the recent trend).

9. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

I guess it is "Me, too" (or "Me, seven or eight") by now, but holy cow, anybody who can type more than 20 wpm should not take their fingers away from the keyboard.

With the trackpad, I can leave one hand on the keyboard, quickly adjust the mouse pointer, and get my hands back on. With a touch screen, you have to lift your hand up, move it about 6-7 inches, and then hope the touch screen is sensitive to where you are pointing (otherwise you have to re-tap or re-poke the screen), etc. It doesn't sound like a lot of wasted time, but multiply it by 100 (or more!) everyday, and it is a real productivity killer.

And what's with all the friggin' smudges on the screen? "The horror..."

No thanks, for phones and iPads, yes, they are necessary, but for my laptop? Nope...

10. leenak macrumors 68020

I'm from the mentality that it drives me crazy to touch my computer screen. I know you do with iPads but I'm also constantly wiping fingerprints off my iPad.

11. dmitrivich macrumors member

Touchscreens are for phones - devices small enough to where a different interface is impractical.

The downside of other people having touchscreens on computers is that if someone uses my computer briefly, they often end up smudging the screen.

Thanks, Windows.

12. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Don't blame Bill for that. My wife is one of those people only comfortable with an iPad. Every time she uses my "vintage" 08 MacBook Pro she pokes the screen. Makes me cringe...

Dale

13. Y So Jelly macrumors regular

Wouldn't mind an iPad with the ability to dual boot a touch-optimized Mac OS. I don't see the need on a laptop or desktop though.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Just my personal preference. I know is goes against everything Apple stands for! :p

15. The Man macrumors 6502

On a regular laptop form factor, I can't see the use of a touch screen. A MS Surface or other convertible, sure. Although I don't like convertibles, because the screen and the body are quite thick -- and most don't make a compelling tablet.

The thing about the touch screen on a regular laptop form factor is the strength of the hinge -- especially when you wipe your screen, much pressure would be put on the hinge, I would think. Also, laptops become increasingly lighter and thinner. So you have a thin light screen and a thin body. A touch screen means a laptop will constantly topple over.