No Macintosh HD icon on desktop?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tim in Phoenix, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Tim in Phoenix macrumors member

Guys

Bought me a spare Intel i3 iMac as a spare, Feb 2011 build, it runs Safari okay but I went to load my backup on Time Machine from my other i3 and it went through the motions, loaded 43 gig in 2 hours, it shows 47 gig of disk is occupied, but I cannot find anything I loaded. Any ideas? Should I start over and reload OSX?

2. Dresevski macrumors 6502

If the icon's not on your desktop you can change that with the Finder Preferences. Just click to shows hard drives. As for your data not being there...not sure what to say

3. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

As indicated in the previous post, in the Finder, choose Finder --> Preferences, then check "Hard Disk" option in the General pane.

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Well since you must be able to find at least one of the file names on the other machine I would search in Spotlight on it to see where it went too. BTW what kind of restore from TM?

Edit: I mean by type of restore what method just files or user account included.

5. Tim in Phoenix thread starter macrumors member

Guys!

Okay I got the HD icon up, Thanks guys! I did not realize Finder had preferences.

Basically I took my WD 500gig Time Machine external drive and plugged it into the spare iMac in an effort to clone the main machine into the spare. It appeared to upload 43 gig over 2 hours and......I can't find any of it.