Auto No Maps Turn-By-Turn Volume in Carplay?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Robdmb, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Robdmb macrumors member

Hi,

Have a new VW and loving Carplay. However, I get no volume with the Turn-By-Turn instructions. I simply do not hear them. This happened when I first got the car and I recall there was some volume setting that fixed it on the phone but now I can't find that again. Was it alerts volume?

Any help would be appreciated. Just to clarify, music, SIRI, etc. are all fine - I can hear them. It is only the lack of voice for turn-by-turn directions.

Thanks.

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Try turning up the volume knob while the maps app is giving spoken directions (may be hard to tell if you can't hear it, but nonetheless...). That's how I adjust it in my car.

3. northcountryboy, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017

northcountryboy macrumors member

I've got exactly the same problem. 2017 VW GTi bought last week. No volume on navigation. Tried turning up the volume using the volume knob while app is giving directions but display indicates that volume is at maximum

I'm also loving carplay by the way, this is my only gripe. Well, this and the fact that it doesn't display album artwork..........

4. PeteLP, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017

PeteLP macrumors regular

When you say you tried turning up the volume "while the app is giving directions", which of the following do you mean:

1) the maps app is running, the destination is already set, and from time to time you get directions OR

2) you turn it up in the middle of the exact time when instructions for a specific turn are being spoken.

It should be number 2. However since you have no volume it might be hard to find that exact moment. If you're doing number 1, or trying to do number 2 but missing the exact moment, then that's likely to be your problem.

5. northcountryboy macrumors member

I did number 2. I was increasing the volume throughout the period that I couldn't hear the instructions. I knew the correct time because the music stops when the navigation instruction is being given

This problem is now actually solved, but I don't know how. I used the navigation yesterday and the turn by turn instructions came through loud and clear. I haven't specifically changed any settings on my phone. My only assumption is that maybe the overall volume on the phone was set very low and I've probably increased that volume while doing something else, eg. listening to music, streaming video while the phone was not connected to carplay.

6. northcountryboy macrumors member

So this happened again to me yesterday and I believe its either a cable or connection issue. I got thr navigstion going and there was no voice volume. I drove for 10 ,inutes and then stopped briefly to check something on my phone. I disconnected, did my thing and the reconnected. When zi reconnected the voice volume was suddenly working. So either Ive got a dodgy cable, or sometimes its a dodgy connection, or its just a glitch in the software.

So if this happens to you, my advice is to disconnect and then reconnect and you should be good to go