no MBP update, how about HP Envy i7 running native 10.6.2 ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joecool99, Jan 27, 2010.

1. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

never tried, but the hackinshosh scene is wide.
    anyone successfully installed 10.6.2 on the HP Envy with i7 and 5830

[​IMG]

2. aberrero macrumors 6502a

Only a handful of people have these things right now. Wait until next week, maybe someone will give it a good effort. I might try it with mine.

3. seanconn macrumors member

you know what I thought about one of these today, as I thought the price would be a lot cheaper.

Well let's look at what you get. basically a MBP 17" CLONE, with an i7 and ati graphics.... (nothing close to high end graphics at all though) how's battery life?

you'll be spending 2000 on this thing, and you might have problems with OSX (im assuming you want to run that as your main OS)

Guaranteed, the keyboard is nowhere near as nice as on the mbp, and the real clickp:apple:d is sooooo much better than what they have on the envy.

but seriously the main reason should be HP has ****** warranty, and compared to Apple probably half the resale value. I bought my 15" mbp in late 2007 for 2200 including applecare , sold it for 1175 two weeks ago. Try that with your HP Envy in two years. LOL :eek:

4. aberrero macrumors 6502a

Again, wit hthe coupons that were around up until just recently, this was $1100-$1200, $1300 with the quad core. This is the same price as the MBP13.

So no, I didn't spend $2000 on it.

The 5830 is very high end. It is basically the best video card you can get right now if you care at all about portability. The faster clocked cards use way too much power to be used in anything weighing less than 7+ lbs.

As for the warranty, I think HP is better than Apple, at least judging by the horror stories here.

And while OS X is nice, WIndows 7 is nice enough that there is no real reason to switch. I agree though that hte experience on this with OS X will be less than optimal, so buy it only if you plan on using Windows most of the time.

5. Buzz Bumble Guest

It was unlikely there would be laptop updates alongside the iPad. It was realistically always going to be "here's our new product" event.

MacBook Pro updates will probably be along soon-ish though (February?), likely before the iPad, otherwise you'll be waiting until afterwards which would mean April or may which is getting a little late by Apple's usual "schedule" ... for what that's worth these days.

6. vant macrumors 65816

Have you actually felt an ENVY?

Seriously, go to BestBuy and just lift one up. If you still think it's near Apple quality, than you have serious issues.

My take on it: It seriously feels like I went to a chinese black market and someone made a low quality MBP replica.

The only thing I ENVY about an ENVY is it's free falling prices.

7. joecool99 thread starter Suspended

joecool99

Feels that cheap ? i didn't handle one yet.
    Also, i would miss backlit keyboard and FW800.

8. kasakka macrumors 68000

You'll most likely run into problems getting things like audio, sleep, webcam etc working. Especially sleep seems to be tricky and very dependent on the motherboard.

While my Hackintosh desktop PC ran nicely in general, sleep didn't work and it sometimes required two restarts and startup was slower than a real Mac (still not all that long tho).

9. P99 macrumors member

Vant

I have to agree with you. I have considered replacing my 14 day old 15" mBp 2.8 last night since i was within my 14 day return -15% restocking fee so I checked the HP envy at my local bestbuy. The machine felt cheap, felt alot lighter than i was expecting, and the casing seemed hollow to me. While online pictures made it looked like an apple clone, in person it is not even close. Looks, color, feel, responsiveness etc. This is all based on MY opinion.

So i thought... eventually If i upgrade my macbook, I would rather lose the $$$ through a private sale and not at bestbuy simply because I wanted to get a newer machine. I considered running mac os on a pc myself even if i have absolutely no need for an i7 device because of the HP Envy.

10. dead goon macrumors member

Ewww.
    I wouldn't want to buy a MBP clone. It's saying something about HP also; they obviously can't come up with their own ideas.

HP isn't that bad, but in this case... yuck.

11. Dekimasu macrumors regular

12. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

you will regret it. wait until next month for an update or get one now. but no half assed hacked computer to supplement what you really want.

13. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

Actually, the graphics are reasonably good for a notebook. They're only a little bit below those in my 27 inch iMac (ATI HD 4830m in the envy vs. ATI HD 4850m in the iMac).

14. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

15. aberrero macrumors 6502a

5830m, actually, which means it fully supports the HDMI audio bitstreaming standard, and, more importantly, Direct X 11.

4850m is a nice card, but like so many of Apples product, a generation obsolete.

16. bware189 macrumors member

How is hacking, which requires effort, more half-asked than simply buying a mac, which is made so effortless by apple? "Hacking" a pc to run OSX is a serious undertaking that requires a lot of research for drivers and methods. Buying an apple is a mindless few button strokes and the entering of your credit card. Nevertheless, I agree, the TS should wait. Patience is something one should always strive to have.

17. Mushi-shi macrumors newbie

Well the cpu is no problem on the Envy but the gfx is not supported... And that is because of 2 things.

1) Apple have not released 5xx0 drivers yet.

2) Mobility cards in pc laptops use LVDS conncter witch the card in the iMacs dont so the framebuffer for ati cards dont work with the LVDS and dont work. This apply to all ATI Mobility cards on osx86.

To the half assed hacked computer comments. I find it more easy to install osx then windows on my i7 workstation, and my socket 775 gf9300 workstation. Ok i have to agree that i have bought the hardware to run osx where i would never buy a laptop to run osx86 on as i cant change that much in the laptop. Like a unsupported gfx. There i will rather buy a MB/MBP as that is a lot more easy.

18. maghemi macrumors 6502

I'm sorry. I don't see how for a second you can compare this thing to a Macbook Pro.

So what.. it's got a faster processor and a better video card, that doesn't instantly make it a better laptop...... to begin with... it's made by HP.

I have NEVER had a good long lasting quality product from HP. Every single time I have ever bought anything from them, or used anything provided by schools or work, they've turned out to be cheap piles of steaming poo.

Just cos this one looks pretty isn't going to make it any better.

19. joecool99 thread starter Suspended

joecool99

well, but ATI offers their own drivers. true, i don't see SL yet, but...

Attached Files:

20. vant macrumors 65816

Heres whats going to happen when you buy a Windows PC because you were anal about waiting:

1. Buy your new low quality windows based computer
    2. Apple releases new MBPs
    3. Feel like ****

Sure, you'll lurk around the forums trolling about how crappy the new update is, but in reality you'll be hitting your head against the wall.

21. masterpace macrumors regular

1. "low quality windows based computer". Try to compare apples with apples. A 2000 $ MBP will blow away any 500 $ laptop PC. But a 2000 $ laptop PC can be close to a MBP in terms of design and user friendlyness. But that 2000 $ PC will outperform your MBP by a large margin. In the end, productivity could be better on that PC. Let's face it. Windows 7 is quite close to Snow Leopard in terms of interface. Windows has evolved a lot over the past few years. Right now, I experience more crashes with Snow Leopard that I do with Windows 7!

2. I believe it's about time Apple wakes up and releases new MBP. Maybe Apple is making more money out of their iPods, iPhones and now, the iPad. They should not neglect their loyal computer customer base.

3. Feels like what? As you said, if you don't wanna wait, go and buy a PC. As I said previously, I'm keeping my 13" MBP. Overall, it's a really nice, sturdy and lightweight computer for small tasks. But I bought an Alienware M15x, which offers me the best computing experience for my money. Honestly, if I have to go on a long trip, I will bring my Alienware with me. The Alienware can do everything my 13" BMP does and much more. It weights a few more pounds and I'm o.k. with that. It's sturdy and overall, I feel it's a much better package for your money, no matter you're into music production, video or gaming.

22. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Never heard of the Envy until now. Looks ok, an obvious attempt at a MBP clone, however they failed to squeeze an optical drive in there.

23. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

With all due respect the there is nothing bad boyish about the Envy.

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There is nothing "bad boyish" about a 15" MBP either. If anything it's more feminine. May as well put a pink case around it.

25. vant macrumors 65816

A nice $2000 PC. Like what? Alienware? Heavy and large (over twice as thick, and nearly twice as heavy). Sure it'd be nice to have near desktop power in a mobile platform, but lugging around 9+lbs of weight is not my idea of mobile (with battery life worse than a camcorder). I think you have the definition of quality locked onto technical specifications. Besides, isn't this the very reason why Dell/Alienware is losing market share? People are speaking with their wallets, and Dell is seeing less of the green paper every day.

I wouldn't even consider the MBP15 a competitor to the M15x. MBP15 is a knife. The M15x is more of a wooden club.

Apple's profit is largely based on laptops. They make more money from their laptops than any other product line. Last time I checked, Apple is making record profits while their iPod sales are falling.