no memory expansion

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jroo80, Jun 28, 2008.

1. jroo80 macrumors newbie

jroo80

i know i'm new here, but can somebody please help me understand why people are still bashing the iphone for not having a memory slot :confused: ...how many phone's out there come with 8 or 16g right outta the box. and how many people walk around with more than one memory card for their phone?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Who's still bashing it? The only thing I see is a complaint for 32GB. People really don't care about removable memory, they only care about the amount if internal memory.

It's become the standard iPod complaint. Nothing more.

Also, why isn't there a 320GB iPod yet?! :mad::p;)

3. aosman macrumors 6502

I think the Nokia N95 comes with 8GB and an expansion slot. Comes with A-GPS too...

4. jroo80 thread starter macrumors newbie

jroo80

this idiot who was comparing the instinct to the iphone

Krunk (Who am I?)
    3 weeks ago
    Apple specializes in BS and propaganda and competition bashing. iPhone is an overpriced hunk of under achieved hardware (no memory expansion, no replaceable battery. I could go on and on..) Everyone says “wait till v2 comes out blah blah blah” you think when iPhone v2 comes out everyone else will just stop making phones? Besides Apple won’t learn from its mistake and will bring iPhone v2 into the market as overpriced as the first iPhone was.
    Sprint has their own phone updater that you can use without plugging it into a pc.. and thank god you dont have to own a mac to use sprint phones to their full capacity like with iPhone.

5. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

I've an N95 and removable memory is pretty handy - you can hot swap from other phones, load directly from a PC/Mac without using iTunes and use it as storage. I don't think many people carry a spare card, you just keep it in the phone.

That's one of the reasons why I don't think I'm going to get an iPhone 3G on contract (although I may get one on PAYG) because the N96 offers me 16GB internal and an extra 16GB by microSDHC. Given that mobile memory is one of the most useful things about the N95 that just makes more sense to me.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I agree with Tallest Skil, many of us were anticipating a 32GB 3G iPhone. My brother dumped his Nokia N95 b/c the battery was crapping out on him all the time. I took him to the Apple Store and he picked up the 16GB iPhone and has never looked back. Bring on that 32GB 3g iPhone for the MWSF '09 and we'll be even happier...:p

7. randomusername macrumors 6502

No, we won't be happy with a 32GB model. Right now, we're complaining for a 32GB iPhone 3G, when that's released we'll be happy for a day or two and then everyone will be complaining that there isn't a 64GB model. Once that is finally released, we'll complain that there is a *insert random number higher than 64*GB model. It will never end.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I don't understand why Apple doesn't already have a 128GB iPhone.

Why are they waiting to release a model with this much memory?

Boggles the mind.

P.S. I was joking. :)

9. JGDrummer macrumors newbie

But still... A MicroSD card slot would be great...

Here's a scenario... I am currently low on money. I manage to sort my priorities and figure that I absolutely need an iPhone. At US$199, I simply cannot pass up the offer. I sign up for ATT overpriced contract and buy the 8gig iPhone.

Enter amount of time here... I save up enough money to have doubled the amount of gigabytes my devise had; US$100 more. Instead of regretting, selling my iPhone, etc, I can just buy one of these. After I stick that into my MicroSD card slot I am all ready to go. It's almost like my iPhone was a natural 16gigabytes!

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'd agree with that. But if what I hear about 32GB chips not being available yet is true, that's a pretty good reason. It would be like complaining about the lack of a terabyte hard drive in the MacBooks.

I would be all for some sort of expansion slot (I think Sprint has a combo SIM/memory card that they sell), but I honestly can't figure out where you would put one. Room is probably maxed out with all that junk inside. I'm sure Apple has considered it, but there probably just isn't room.

I saw speculation in an article about hard drive-based iPhones and iPod Touches coming out sometime soon. It's an interesting idea since there's an obvious demand for tons of storage, but I'm betting that at least the iPhone sticks with flash-only models. I wouldn't be shocked at all for the iPod Classic to essentially merge with the Touch and for the Nano to gain the Touch characteristics. That way, developers can sell more apps, everybody makes more money.