no memory left ! How to zip the files ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danycsrj, Sep 3, 2011.

1. danycsrj macrumors newbie

I need to transfer some files/photos/videos to my external hard drive, I was told I need to zip it first but I have no memory left to do it. Any other safe way around it ?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need to zip files before moving or copying them to an external drive.

3. danycsrj thread starter macrumors newbie

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yep. It's as simple as that.

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Well I could command drag so you actually move them... or make sure you delete them after you drag, because you're going to simply copy and it's going to leave the original on the computer.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's assuming, of course, that the OP doesn't want a copy of the files to remain on their computer.

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Well seeing that he put "NO MEMORY LEFT", I'm assuming that space is of concern. Now obviously it could not, but seeing as he think he has to zip the files, chances are he wants to clear space off the computer.

Whether or not he does is irrelevant to the comment you just made towards me. Putting more information than possibly needed does not hinder him in any way, it only HELPS.

Posting countlessly every day doesn't make your opinion or suggestion better than anybody else's.

GET OVER YOURSELF. It's a forum. We're all here to share opinions and help others.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I didn't make a comment "towards you", nor did I criticize your post in any way, nor did I imply that any post is "better" than another. I simply made a statement to clarify for the OP that they don't have to delete the files if they don't want to. What they choose to do is up to them. There's no need to get emotional.

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Between the OP talking about how there is no space left on the internal drive and the use of the word transfer (to move something from one place to another) vs copy (to move a copy of something to another place, leaving the original intact) I think the OP's intent is quite clear.

10. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Seeing that you quoted my post, it's obvious you were referencing my comment. To say otherwise would either portray your lack of knowledge ont he definition of "referencing" a body of text.

With that said, I"m obviously implying your intentions and, judging by the rebuttal received from you and the aforementioned comment at hand, to simply think that you weren't replying to my statement would be, simply put, stupid.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just letting you know exactly what I stated in my previous comment. There's no reason to quote a helpful post and undermine it when it obviously has nothing but beneficial potential.

Hence my emphasis on getting over yourself. It's a forum. I didn't slight you, I didn't use any form of logic to undermine you or your opinion. I simply referenced YOUR post that lacked the information to inform the OP that the files would still be on the hard drive.

You implied that he didn't want to get them removed by omitting the directions to delete OR you simply did not think of referencing that. Just because I did doesn't mean I'm undermining your post or opinion.

And apparently there's a problem with referencing this assumption. Go figure.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, I referenced your post. Referencing a post isn't criticizing it or claiming that another post is better or worse.
    To offer an additional comment or alternative isn't undermining a post.
    Nor did I slight or undermine you or your post. I didn't imply that anything in your post was in error. I only clarified that the OP doesn't have to delete files after copying to the external drive, if they elect not to.
    I didn't imply anything. The OP asked about how to get the files to the external drive and I answered that dragging the files to the drive was all that was required to get the files to the external, without the need for zipping them. They didn't ask about what to do with files that remained on their drive.
    Nor did I take it as such.

12. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

Calm down everybody... xD

Hey GGJstudios how do you quote multiple people in one post?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Click the multi-quote icon [​IMG](to the right of the [​IMG] icon) for each post you want to include in a quote. Then click Reply, or click [​IMG] on the last post you want to quote, instead of the multi-quote.

14. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

That's what that is! Awesome :D

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you mouseover the icons, a pop-up will tell you what the icon is used for.

16. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

didn't ever notice... anyways I'm done threadjacking. back to the main topic.