No mention of matte displays?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sparkie7, Mar 19, 2010.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

-- c'mon ... bring out a matte option for the 27 and replacements for the 30" ACDs. 27" glassy screens ain't going to cut it with a lot of professionals looking to upgrade

2. grue macrumors 65816

fortunately, they can still buy third party. Apple can't be all things to all people, and the sheeple outnumber the people who don't call for "oooh shiny, do want!"

3. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

I bought a 30" display a few months ago - even though the design is a little long in the tooth - because it seemed that Apple has committed to glossy screens.

OK, so some people like the glossy. I do not and agree with the OP that a matte option should be available for the rest of us.

Think Different!

4. smacman macrumors 6502

I don't know why, but I just can't stand staring at those LED backlit glossy displays. If I could afford it, I would buy 10 30" ACDs now and just keep them in storage until needed. I fear that they are the last great display from Apple...

5. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

I didn't think I would like a glossy screen, but I just got a refurbished Macbook Pro with glossy screen and absolutely love it! The screen is so much nicer than my old Macbook Pro!

6. brentsg macrumors 68040

That's funny, I am exactly the opposite. Anything prior to the new LED ACDs caused me great eye strain, so I was still using a CRT. But having options available is a good thing!

7. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

I have an iMac 27" at my residence (its not my machine, per se), and I can say that the screen is indeed impressive; however, its major drawback is, well, being glossy.

Considering how I have a DS-263N with and A-TW film, though, I might be a little spoilt. Despite this I was thinking of picking up a U2711 from Dell, unless by the time May rolls around NEC makes their 27" screen available/affordable.

8. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I would be very surprised if the rumored 27" display wasn't available in both a matt and glossy finish. Personally, I prefer a glossy finish for the added contrast that makes colors pop but it does require strict control over your ambient lighting. Matt displays just look like someone stretched a pair of pantyhose over my screen and on the 30" displays, in particular, I find it very distracting.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I never thought I would find a matte vs. glossy thread refreshing. :rolleyes: :D

10. goodcow macrumors 6502a

I would buy one but it doesn't even support HDCP.

11. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Good. Neither do any of my movies or movie playing software! :D

12. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

LOL! I did that with the Apple Pro Keyboards! I have 5 of them packed away in a box! Can't stand the Aluminum ones!

13. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD

Is there ANY alternative that I can get now? I miss the old pro keyboard and now I'm stuck with the alum...

Bah I say! I waited and bought a 09 15in MBP with "antiglare" and couldn't be happier. (I hope the glassy fad dies)

14. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Maybe the 27" is being meant another pricey middle of the road-display.

Keeping the hopes up the new 30" will be a wide gamut display with built in hardware calibration, just like the great displays from Eizo, NEC.

15. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

16. gotzero macrumors 68040

I think they are moving on. I am pretty turned off by both 16:9 and the glossy covering. Oh well.

I am going to stick with my matte 30"s until they die, and then see what is out there.

17. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

I just got a 30" Dell at work and it's amazing. It was half the price of the ACD. The ACD picture is a little "prettier" but the Dell is very close. Just a warning, though...the Dell 30 inchers are wide-gamut so stuff can look oversaturated if the app doesn't adjust for it. I find PhotoShop displays properly, though, which was the most important to me.

I wouldn't mind a somewhat glossy 30" display because it would eliminate the "sparkly" anti-glare coatings that become more obvious on displays of this size. What I detest is the super-glossy. I had to do some work on a new iMac 27" and couldn't wait to get back to my Dell. The reflections were so bothersome, not to mention you can see every fingerprint, etc (I never touch my screen, but some people at work love to fingerpaint on displays after eating donuts and fried chicken, it seems)

18. grue macrumors 65816

Yeah, 16:9 is another travesty. Vertical real estate is precious.

19. Phantom Gremlin macrumors regular

I've never tried any Dell monitor with OS X. But when I tried a newer Dell wide gamut display with Windows XP, I had horrible problems with the sub-pixel anti-aliasing that Windows implements. Windows lets you choose various "styles" (to compensate for differing RGB arrangements) but I was never very happy. There were all these little color "fringes" on troublesome letters.

Switching the display to sRGB really helped but didn't totally eliminate the problem. An older Dell display didn't have this difficulty.

That's one nice thing about buying an Apple computer and an Apple display. I'd expect there to not be any of these types of problems. (Perhaps wishful thinking).

20. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD