No mention of water resistance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Irock619, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I have the 6s Plus and I'm trying to find a reason on upgrading to the i7 lol. The only thing I can think of is the advancements made in the camera system. I shoot DSLR mainly but thought this phone would be a nice addition. Then I thought....wait this phone is water proof. I can take photos or video under water! I went to check the specs on the Apple website and noticed there is no mention of water proofing at all. Would anybody trust it in the capacity I just described? Not even a mention about water resistance? Am I missing something?

2. wolfedude88 macrumors 6502

wolfedude88

It's water resistant. It's rated ip67, up to like 3.5 deep and only for 30 minutes. So I wouldn't recommend it. Also Apple has fine print that they won't replace water damage.

3. cleebrown93 macrumors regular

It is IP67 certified.

[​IMG]

That was easy to find..

4. spooky23 macrumors 6502

spooky23

Waterproof and water resistance are two separate things, no? Not sure if I'm splitting hairs. Dropping your phone in the sink and pulling it out is probably as great a 'risk' as you'd want to take with the phone. Although it's probably safe to believe the phone can sit in water safetly for X amount of time. Didn't they test the 6s and 6s+ in water last year?

5. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

You must not be looking very hard. It took 15 seconds to go here (http://www.apple.com/iphone-7/specs/) and find -

iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus are splash, water, and dust resistant and were tested under controlled laboratory conditions with a rating of IP67 under IEC standard 60529. Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Do not attempt to charge a wet iPhone; refer to the user guide for cleaning and drying instructions. Liquid damage not covered under warranty.

If I only hold it under water for a few seconds I would feel safe. I wouldn't go snorkeling with it unless I knew the phone would be in the water for a minute or two.

According to that standard, it's 1 meter for 30 minutes. I have the Apple Watch and it's the same rating. I just got back from Cancun and spent hours and hours in the pool and ocean and never took the watch off. I was conscious about making sure the watch wasn't underwater for too long.

My advice would be don't go out the first day and test how well it works. Let some people lab test it and post results first.

6. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

I found it on the overview page. I was looking in the tech specs. Thanks.