No Microsoft support for Bootcamp/Win8.1 ?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mart1954, Jul 4, 2014.

1. mart1954 macrumors newbie

I Just got off the Microsoft Technical Help line (Australia ph132058) and they refused to help me because I am running Win 8.1 in Bootcamp. ???

Is this Official .....? I am really concerned that I wasn't aware of Microsoft's total lack of support when I bought my new machine a month ago........ shouldn't this Information be made more public, or have I just been Dumb...!

If it had been a Asus, Sony, Dell or HP etc ...... no problem ...... so what's the deal with Apple. Am running in pure Bootcamp (no parallels etc) and I understood from the Technician that even If I had a clean EFI Install..... Microsoft still wouldn't help me...

....that cant be right...!!

Many thanks ....... Martin V

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Seems odd, but then MS really likes to stick it to Apple users. I mean if you built your own PC and called the technical line because of an issue with windows - would they not help you (I don't know).

I will say that I've run into odd issues within bootcamp that I never have with a PC so there are some differences going on and that may be why

3. markboston macrumors newbie

MS general policy is that any specific windows os problem should be handled by the OEM. in this case your SOL. what is the problem you are having?

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

That's their OEM policy, for sure, but since the OP couldn't have obtained 8.1 from Apple then he should be running a retail version of 8.1 with Microsoft's full tech support.
    Unless the OP managed to put an OEM version of 8.1 on to his Mac.
    Then Microsoft was correct. No support for OEM versions.

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

That's not a difficult mistake to make considering both OEM and retail versions are readily available.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

As noted above, it depends on which version of Windows you have. If you got it from a major retail shop or directly from Microsoft then you should be eligible for support regardless of what hardware you are using. If it's a cheaper "OEM" version then there is no support provided.

7. Kaylor macrumors regular

Kaylor

Well since Microsoft wouldn't help you, what problem are you running into? Maybe one of us can help you work out a solution.

8. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

That's what I was thinking?