Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alaxlmartin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2018
Leak said nothing about it. Is that basically admitting it isn't coming in spring

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Always thought it was mentioned more likely 2021 at the earliest

Nope, according to the not-wrong-ever Kuo (being sarcastic)... he’s predicting 2nd half 2020. Not sure how that’s possible, but hey... that’s what was reported by him.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I’m curious how much money Pro users are willing to pay for Mini-LED.

Tim Cook has shown us in every other Apple product category that he will use screen tech to justify pushing the price limits on users. So who’s to say that also isnt his plan with introducing Mini-LED to the iPad Pros?

Last edited:
Reactions: NewWaveGuy

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Leak said nothing about it. Is that basically admitting it isn't coming in spring
It could be a Display from a UFO Cockpit, I’m not upgrading my 11” iPad Pro in anything less than 24 Months. Some people have iPad Air 2’s that are going strong.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Nope, according to the not-wrong-ever Kuo (being sarcastic)... he’s predicting 2nd half 2020. Not sure how that’s possible, but hey... that’s what was reported by him.
Well, Kuo originally apparently said the iPad Pro mini-LED would launch between Q4 2020 to Q1 2021, but then in a later note he moved those dates up a quarter.

However, I'm never sure about the translations since often Kuo states manufacturing will begin at his listed dates, so actual release might be months later. For example, some people kept saying that Kuo said Apple would launch the 4th gen in late 2019, but the original text from Kuo was that Apple would start manufacturing either late 2019 or early 2020, which would suggest the earliest actual Apple launch date would be Q1 2020. Either way though, he's been pretty consistent in saying mini-LED is coming in some form eventually.

The worrisome part for me though is that for mini-LED he seems to be focusing on the 12.9" model only. I don't think he's ever said it's coming to the 11" model any time soon.

I do wonder how good the mini-LED blacks will be though. While I don't really care that much about video blacks on my iPhone, it's starting to matter more to me on my iPad, since I'm using it more and more for watching TV shows. The blacks on the 10.5" Pro really do suck, which is par for the course for traditional IPS screens.

Last edited:
Reactions: stlsot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.