No Mini-Tablet at Macworld?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider reports that the rumored Newton-successor is not ready for launch at Macworld San Francisco this week.

Rumors of the return of the larger-than-iPhone tablet were revived back in September 2007 by Appleinsider. The new device is said to be powered by the same touch OS X which currently powers the iPhone, though with a more advanced implementation of multi-touch. The current iPhone allows up to 2 points of contact and use is limited to zooming. Apple's patent applications have detailed research into a number of advanced gestures.

Article Link

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I don't think Apple is really even planning a tablet right now, the market is so small, that the modbook, and anyone else who wants to try the same idea will cover it nicely. Really, if you are going to carry around something to big to fit in your pocket you will want a full computer, not just an enlarger iPod touch.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I agree. Unless it's something like 25% larger but still pocketable. But if it's subnotebook-sized... give me a real subnotebook with keyboard. It could be convertible, but I don't the bulk and complexity of that is worth it: non-keyboard mode just isn't that important to most users.

thegman1234

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2007
Long Island
I don't think Apple is really even planning a tablet right now, the market is so small, that the modbook, and anyone else who wants to try the same idea will cover it nicely. Really, if you are going to carry around something to big to fit in your pocket you will want a full computer, not just an enlarger iPod touch.
I agree, which is why I'm not a fan of tablet PC's. Although, I remember early last year, in a press conference with Gates, Jobs had stated that Apple was working on something big that he couldn't talk about. I don't think it was the new iPods, I wonder what it is.

syklee26

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
i don't see the market for something that's about 7-8 inches big either. I think it might just be some convertible tablet, not the straight up keyboard-less tablet.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
This whole giant iPhone/macbook touch pipedream was a load of BS anyway. What a silly notion to think Apple would bring such a product to market months after introducing the iPhone!

Ha ze

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
Perhaps not ready yet, but i could have it own demo, much like the iPhone last year?

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
I'd rather they just morph the iphone/touch into a tablet slowly over time (like how the ipod was morphed into much more than just an mp3 player).

Rogzilla

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007
Yeah, that is what I am expecting, Ha ze. It will be the one more thing.

"Oh, one last thing. This isn't ready for shipping, but here is something we have been developing and we think you will really love it!"

And we will. Why? Because Steve Jobs said so!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
"Newton-successor" is definitely not the way Apple would or will describe it. The Newton was ahead of its time, great as a "proof of concept," but not a commercial success. That's not the way Apple wants to enter that territory again. Apple now knows how to "get it right," and I look forward to the release of their tablet whenever they decide it's ready.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Everybody says how they want the iPhone to be able to edit documents etc. Well guess what? It is too small!!! The device that will edit documents and act more like a full computer in function will be the Tablet, which will be just like the iPhone but bigger and more capable as a computer :) And there is a market for Apple to do it right or else they wouldn't be doing it, which they are :)

That's what she said... ;)
LOL. Immature, but I laughed :D

DukeofAnkh

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
Melbourne
I agree. Unless it's something like 25% larger but still pocketable. But if it's subnotebook-sized... give me a real subnotebook with keyboard. It could be convertible, but I don't the bulk and complexity of that is worth it: non-keyboard mode just isn't that important to most users.
From what I've seen of tablets, convertible could just as easily mean "comes with a blue-tooth keyboard that you can use if you want." If I could afford it (which I can't) I'd buy an Apple tablet. It would make taking notes in maths and physics much easier.

I think tablets will spread. Maybe not just now, but eventually.

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
gotta say, i'd love a tablet that used the iPhone interface
but it'd need to be able to share screen with my other macs so i'd use it as a large remote control thing

that said - if they do announce it AND the slim laptop, i'm in trouble as i can't afford both :(

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
it simply is too much of a niche ... how long have they tried to push it by now ? apart of presentations and some note taking niches (doctors, students) the huge market simply isn't there

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
funny how every year all the rumors sites are like ' theres this coming, soon, definatley' and then just before a macworld (or dev conference) they are all like 'actually no its not ready in time / delayed etc.'

nickane

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
Whilst it seems like AI is simply covering its tracks because their rumours regarding the MBAir are looking like they were way off, the possibility of Apple introducing a 7-8 inch sized tablet would allow it to stratify its new sub-notebook/pda product line into the typical trio of pricing tiers. It would seem a bit strange that the iphone would fill the mac mini/shuffle role, however, given the fact that neither the tablet nor the MBair are likely to include a phone, but still, it does make some sense.

I hope not, however, as I'm much more concerned with the prospect of a midrange desktop that does not include a screen...

jragosta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
Rumors

Now that we've had the usual run of silly rumor games, I'll provide one rumor which I guarantee will be correct:

Apple either will or will not release a tablet at MWSF.

Lots of very reliable sources went into that one.

Mercury7

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
...I don;t think it would be a niche at all, a 7to8 inch ipod touch form factor would fly off the shelves....especially if they just added some basic functionality....downloads/cut and paste etc..,,and maybe even a sim card port to be able to buy a data plan to use when wifi is not available.

however I do recognize that this would cannabolize touch sales as well as make the new subnotebook old hat.

those of you who have not had a chance to play with a jailbroken touch or iphone yet are in for a treat.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
How about something with like a 12 inch touch screen that you can roll/fold up so it's about the size of a closed Nintendo DS lite? Then it fits in your pocket and is plenty large to be used like any other portable computer (with touch screen.)

Or is that what you meant by "convertible"?

cmcbridejr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Alpharetta, GA
Am I missing the boat?

I don't really see the point of the rumored tablet or where it would fit into the market.

I use my desktop and laptop much less now that I have an iPhone, but if I want power and editing functionality, then I would use the laptop or desktop. I am happy with this setup.

Please somebody explain what the tablet would achieve that the iPhone and laptop/desktop combo wouldn't.

Digital Skunk

macrumors 604
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Ohh.... so sad that we won't be getting a tablet. I have a feeling that this MacWorld will be a very boring consumer oriented toy show. I would love to see a new, up-to-date, redesigned, professional, MacBook Pro. At least in the 17" variation, which is dire need of improvement to catch up to the far superior PC versions.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
"Newton-successor" is definitely not the way Apple would or will describe it. The Newton was ahead of its time, great as a "proof of concept," but not a commercial success. That's not the way Apple wants to enter that territory again. Apple now knows how to "get it right," and I look forward to the release of their tablet whenever they decide it's ready.
Apple learned a lot with the Newton that much is for sure. And I completely agree that they would not want the new device, even if it looked, felt and smelled like a Newton to be called a Newton.

As someone who loves and still uses their Newtons (2000/2100), I long for the day for Apple to re-enter this market.

Unfortunately for Apple, the early Newtons 100 & 110 were rushed to the market and had many problems. The handwriting recognition was the worst. By the time they introduced the 2100 model, many improvements had been made and the handwriting recognition worked great. But by then it was too late, the market had spoken.

The Newton 2100s were built well. Mine are still working after 10 years. Some folks even use them for web page servers which is amazing.

IMHO, a PDA/Tablet requires a pen for input and needs a larger screen than the iPhone/Touch currently have. On a side note, the original Newton OS was very scalable, object oriented and future focused. There were plans for Newtons that ranged from around a 3x5 sticky to white board sized displays per the developer info that I had at the time. I really love the integration of the Newton OS. The iPhone/Touch are the closest that I've seen since, but alas they are not there yet.

The Newton 2100's screen was a wonderful size. Dreaming here. But a Newton 2100 with color screen and about a quarter to half inch thick would have been nice. Of course it would have built in WiFi and BT.

Hopefully, Apple will one day re-enter this market.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
I don't really see the point of the rumored tablet or where it would fit into the market.
There are plenty of artists that fit perfectly into the Apple demographic who would benefit from a Mac Tablet (a mini tablet though, not so sure). Using a tablet to digitally draw and paint is much more intuitive than clicking with a mouse in Ps. Wacom is doing quite well by supporting Tablet PC's. But who wants to use Vista? Not me. Bring on the Mac Tablet. It would do very well, IMHO.

Boghog

macrumors member
May 7, 2007
The niche

Many people ask where the niche is for a tablet computer. It's simple: The niche is everyone who want's to use a computer without a table.
Let's be honest: Nobody likes to use a laptop on their laps. We like notepads, though. And that's the potentially successful form factor. Doctors, nurses, teachers, people in supply and delivery will be dying to have one. Others might just like doing work, reading books (see the success of Amazon's Kindle) or just entertaining themselves at a bus stop, on the train, waiting for a flight etc.
The latter of these things can be done so-so on a Touch or IPhone. But wouldn't a nice screen and a fully functionable Leopard be nice on a truly portable device?