Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uktivo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
I suppose I saw it coming but still a little annoyed. I purchased a brand new mac book pro from Ebay on the 18th June, the sent proof of purchase . I've registered for the free upgrade to ML and have been told I don't qualify as it wasn't purchased via approved apple route. Very annoyed at apple. Anyone know if this is correct?

Thanks.

uktivo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
The computer was a replacement under the apple support warranty. The seller didn't want it, and so sold it. It seems a shame I'm penalised for this. Oh well. The 14 pounds isn't going to break me. Just wanted to let others know about it.

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
Did you save a little bit by buying on ebay? If so I'm sure you saved at least the 19,99$ that ML cost.

Otherwise, not much you can do I think... :(

uktivo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Aye I did save. Actually enough to add 16gb ram and a 512 Samsung ssd:eek: and still come out a winner.

So I'm not too upset. I as I said. Just want to warn others if they too want to go this route.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
My view is this is not an Apple problem. The seller needs to claim the upgrade for you and then forward it on. They, not you, are the ones who had a claim (hate to use the word entitled here) for the upgrade.

Have you tried contacting the seller? Did the auction indicate that ML could be received?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
If you buy through an Authorized Reseller, you do get the upgrade. The problem is that a random eBay seller isn't authorized, so Apple doesn't have any real way of verifying the purchase. I agree that the seller should have taken care of that and given you the code, but it's not Apple's fault.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.