No Monday Stock Shipments?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by seanpholman, Mar 14, 2011.

1. seanpholman macrumors regular

Just checked three of the five Orange County stores and each of them told me they were not getting iPads today. Really surprising to me.

--Sean

2. damixt macrumors member

Yea, I was told the same thing. It seems like they are going to hold all units until tomorrow morning.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Reports are floating around that they are holding back shipments from today to sell tomorrow early tomorrow morning at 9am (an hour early just for iPads)

More lines due as Apple stores open one hour early tomorrow amid re-stocking rumors?
    http://www.9to5mac.com/56100/more-l...-hour-early-tomorrow-amid-re-stocking-rumors/

Apple Stores To Open One Hour Early Tomorrow To Sell New Shipment of iPad 2s
    http://www.cultofmac.com/apple-stor...omorrow-to-sell-new-shipment-of-ipad-2s/86291

And other forum members claimed to have been told the same thing "No iPads today"

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1116714
    So if you really want an iPad, your best bet is to be outside an Apple Store early tomorrow morning.

4. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

This is a hot topic today. Many people discussing it. So was this thread necessary?

5. seanpholman thread starter macrumors regular

I am hearing the same thing. Everyone says they are opening up at 9am tomorrow, which is an hour early. I am a diehard Apple fan and even I am a little miffed at this launch. Apple is making it really hard to give them money. I wasn't buying in to the theory that Apple was purposely keeping supply low so that they could have long lines, but if they are holding back stock today to open early tomorrow, what other reason could there be? Even my iPhone 4 wasn't this hard to get. Oh well, part of the thrill is in the hunt and it isnt anything I need right now.

--Sean

6. MondayNgt macrumors member

What annoys me is when you phone up, the automated message proclaims "The iPad 2 is here!" Uh...no it's not ;)

Something I don't get is (at least of my local Apple Store) why they don't save people the time and simply put a sign up front - or near the iPads - saying that they're currently sold out. Some department stores do this whenever a popular item is being sought after - some even announcing this via the automated message when phoning - and it not only saves the customer the time, it saves their employee's sanity being asked "Do you have XXX?" every few seconds. As for Apple, the way their store works is horrendous enough with having to hunt down an employee in order to purchase something, and often those employees are already assisting and pitching to other people who are often not even there to buy anything in the first place.

One could make the argument that they still want to get people into their store, but it's kind of pointless to do so when they can't buy what they want anyway.

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I can't remember if it was for the iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS, but for a brief wile Apple was allowing you to go to their website and check inventory for your nearest Apple Store, A green dot indicated it was available and a red dot indicated it was out of stock. It was a simple concept and it saved people time and effort from calling or driving down to the Apple Store to only be told the same thing.

8. Steelers7510, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

Steelers7510 macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

Why is it such a terrible thing for someone to start a new thread?!?! After all this is a FORUM and they are open for ANYONE to talk about what's on there mind. What would the point be of a forum if everyone was afraid to post a new thread?

9. DemonBob macrumors member

I got one satuday, 4th in line out of 100+ already. This line was a day after the original launch. The reason they are holding shipments is that they would rather have one day with one line devoted to iPad sales, then 6 days with lines. As much publicity the lines cause, they also are a headache, and take time away from other customers who are interested in other items.

Every day they have a line, they have a lot of stuff they have to do.

1. Setup the line posts
    2. Alert cops, mall security and such
    3. dedicate multiple employees as iPad sales people. My store was bringing in 4 people at a time. That's four employees that are being paid just to sale iPads. Which means less people to handle genius appointments and such.
    4. Dedicate multiple people in inventory to bring out the iPads. Our store has a dedicated inventory team that was doing nothing but being runners for the sales guys.
    5. Spend time going down the line, answering questions and asking which model each person wants.

2 days dedicated to iPad lines are better then 6 days. In this case it's better for them to hold all shipments to a certain day of the week and have that one day, lets say Tuesday of every week, dedicated a iPad sales/line day. Instead of dealing with the masses every day.

10. mozartwon macrumors member

It's becoming very clear to me now that Apple is having a very real shortage
    of product. I live in the Tyson's Corner VA area, one of the most effluent areas
    in the country. The Tyson's Mall Apple stores is one of Apple's flagship
    stores. I relate all this because I just got back from the local ATT store
    and the salesman told me that he did not receive any Ipad2 and does not
    know when he will receive any. I then went to the local BB, none in stock,
    they only got a few in on launch day. I saved going to Apple's mall store
    till the last. All sold out!! They said they only got in about 10 on launch day.

I ordered online about 2:00 AM Friday Morning and got into the first shipment
    batch (3-5 days) my order is still showing not shipped yet!

11. seanpholman thread starter macrumors regular

Right on, thanks! All I wanted to do was get the info out there to you guys. I am pretty sure forums are for sharing info! :)

--Sean

12. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I picked one up at Tysons apple store Sunday morning they only had 16gb wifi black.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

13. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I read your post twice, you come across as being in the most effluent place in the country.
    That said, I have never heard of Tyson's Corner- but my redneck hometown is out of iPads too; go figure

14. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

I was over at Fashion Island today in OC and did see a sign in front with a picture of an iPad. There was also an Apple employee standing outside the store next to the sign. My guess is he, and the sign, were both telling people they were out of stock.

15. mozartwon macrumors member

Didn't mean to sound condescending. I only highlighted living in this area
    because Apple usually goes out of it's way to make sure this store is well
    stocked. Tyson's Corner is a suburb of Washington DC and has a large
    foreign and diplomatic population.

16. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

No worries mate.;)

17. DCNatFan macrumors member

Effluent is an outflowing of water or gas from a natural body of water, or from a human-made structure.

Think you meant affluent.

18. mike995134 macrumors newbie

With a wink-and-a-nudge one of the Blue Shirts at the SF Union Square store just told me that they "out of stock" <cough-ahem> ... but they are opening at 9 tomorrow morning and to come back then.

Definitely in line with what others are reporting. Fingers, toes, arms, legs, eyes crossed!!!!

19. seanpholman thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. Was waiting for someone to point that out, lol. Although I didn't say anything because I consider DC plenty effluent. ;)

So, who wants to bet the lines tomorrow are just as bad as the ones on opening day? I am just hoping i can pick up my overdue birthday present, lol.

--Sean

20. mozartwon macrumors member

Thanks for the correction. I didn't say I was affluent, but I could be effluent!

21. redman042 macrumors 68020

Welp, sounds like I'll be hangin' out at the Apple Store tomorrow bright and early with a cupa joe and a bag o' donuts.

I've got one on order on Apple.com but missed the early opportunity and am looking at a mid-April delivery. I'd love to cancel that order from a shiny new iPad 2 picked up tomorrow at the Apple Store!

22. dehlz macrumors newbie

First time I've heard about this. Get off your high horse buddy.

23. tstarks33 macrumors regular

Has anyone heard anything regarding this for the NYC stores? I tried the UWS Apple store, but the clerk said they are opening as normal and he wasn't aware of anything. I don't have time atm to wait on hold 10 minutes to try the other stores...

24. ozred macrumors 6502

25. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

Yet, you were the one talking about dickheads...