No More 17" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SEGeologist, Jun 11, 2012.

1. SEGeologist macrumors member

I do not know about you or anyone else. I for one am not happy with the new refresh on the MBP and the elimination of the 17".

Instead they produce a fancy screen which does people with eye diseases more pain than the current glare screens.

Where are the matte screens?

Where are the 17" models?

No model for me... Windows here I come.

2. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Have fun. Find a machine that does what you want and be happy.

3. Coatsy macrumors member

Well considering the 17" model apparently accounted for less than 1% of sales, can you really blame them?

EDIT: 1.7% of notebook sales, but still

4. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

This shouldn't drive you to windows?!

Why do you so desperately need a 17 inch screen?

Also the new screens look pretty good, don't see why you would want a matte option.

5. SEGeologist thread starter macrumors member

Yup, Apple will not be able to match any model when this one dies in another year.

Whats even worse is the newer ones are loosing all the ports for connections. I have no knowledge of a TB mass spec.

6. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

You could blame them but it wouldn't help anyone.

1.7% rounds to zero percent...

7. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, and at $2800, the new high-end 15" retina Macbook Pro will now account for less than 2% of sales, so what's your point?

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

9. SEGeologist thread starter macrumors member

Actually law of significant digits says that would be 2% not 0 :cool:. Really that is simple math.

----------

The new updates do nothing for the one who actually use these machines in research. The retina display version is a complete waste.

10. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

ever had to round to the nearest 5, 10, done a high school science experiment?

11. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

I am frustrated as well. I want to buy a replacement for my aging mac mini. I was thinking of a 17" MBP as a desktop replacement type thing. Basically a laptop that stays home.
    Besides, it has features that the other macs dont. Like Expresscard.
    The Mac Pro update was lackluster as well.
    I'm also kind of underwhelmed by the iMac and the apparent disk compatibility issues.

12. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

I have a 15" MBP myself but I was still surprised they will no longer make the 17"

13. Stetrain macrumors 68040

And what does that have to do with causing eye pain?

14. SEGeologist thread starter macrumors member

Simple too bright and glossy. Matte finishes are best for eye problems.

----------

Those are specific digits and you were comparing 1.7 to 0. 0 has a significant digit on the left i.e. x. That gives the 1.7 a bump to 2 to match the significant digit of the 0.

15. 2LMedia macrumors member

I would take a look at the new MBP in person before passing judgement. I ordered a new one to temporarily replace my 17" to see if I can get past the loss of 2" of screen real estate. Seeing as they have a 14 day return policy with no restock fee, I didn't see the point in not trying it out at least. I'll probably end up returning it and buying another refurb 2.5Ghz 17", but who knows.

16. gelatin macrumors 6502

no more Ethernet port
    only 2 usb ports as well. trying to push their thunderbolt
    no anti glare option on the retina display as well
    this whole glass thing has bothered me since they started it. at work we were gonna buy the cinema displays but its so bad to work when there is sun.
    the glass thing looks good but its not functional for prolonged use. at least give us the damn option

gutted they got rid of the 17 inch though. i love my big screen
    might wait and hope they bring back the 17 inch at some point with higher res
    its not just about res to me. its nice to have a large screen to watch stuff sometimes.

yes you can plug in stuff for ethernet/usb/larger screen but for me a laptop should be an all in one device

17. eron macrumors 6502

My 17" MBP's glossy screen doesn't induce glare anywhere near my Thunderbolt Display. My TB Display is BAD. My glossy MBP has very very minimal reflections. So the new MBP Retina with its new tech would be very very ideal as a better screen than the 17"'s.

The only thing is the ports like the express card. There will probably be a whole range of adaptors and hubs that will spring out for TB.

Though Apple might introduce the Retina on the heavier 15" MBP at a later stage. It only did it this time on a new model to push enough sales to maximise production and sales capacity.

18. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

+1

I have expresscard adapters for eSATA and USB 3.0 that are used almost daily, and a Sonnet SDXC UHS-I adapter that pretty much lives in there.