No More 17" MBP

SEGeologist

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2012
Pangea
I do not know about you or anyone else. I for one am not happy with the new refresh on the MBP and the elimination of the 17".

Instead they produce a fancy screen which does people with eye diseases more pain than the current glare screens.

Where are the matte screens?

Where are the 17" models?

No model for me... Windows here I come.

Coatsy

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2008
Well considering the 17" model apparently accounted for less than 1% of sales, can you really blame them?

EDIT: 1.7% of notebook sales, but still

Comment

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
This shouldn't drive you to windows?!

Why do you so desperately need a 17 inch screen?

Also the new screens look pretty good, don't see why you would want a matte option.

Comment

SEGeologist

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2012
Pangea
Yup, Apple will not be able to match any model when this one dies in another year.

Whats even worse is the newer ones are loosing all the ports for connections. I have no knowledge of a TB mass spec.

Comment

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Well considering the 17" model apparently accounted for less than 1% of sales, can you really blame them?

EDIT: 1.7% of notebook sales, but still
Yeah, and at $2800, the new high-end 15" retina Macbook Pro will now account for less than 2% of sales, so what's your point?

Comment

SEGeologist

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2012
Pangea
You could blame them but it wouldn't help anyone.

1.7% rounds to zero percent...
Actually law of significant digits says that would be 2% not 0 :cool:. Really that is simple math.

----------

Huh? Please explain.

Also you can get a nice deal on a Late 2011 17" in Apple's refurbished store:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/17
The new updates do nothing for the one who actually use these machines in research. The retina display version is a complete waste.

Comment

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
I am frustrated as well. I want to buy a replacement for my aging mac mini. I was thinking of a 17" MBP as a desktop replacement type thing. Basically a laptop that stays home.
Besides, it has features that the other macs dont. Like Expresscard.
The Mac Pro update was lackluster as well.
I'm also kind of underwhelmed by the iMac and the apparent disk compatibility issues.

Comment

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Actually law of significant digits says that would be 2% not 0 :cool:. Really that is simple math.

----------

The new updates do nothing for the one who actually use these machines in research. The retina display version is a complete waste.
And what does that have to do with causing eye pain?

Comment

SEGeologist

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2012
Pangea
And what does that have to do with causing eye pain?
Simple too bright and glossy. Matte finishes are best for eye problems.

----------

ever had to round to the nearest 5, 10, done a high school science experiment?
Those are specific digits and you were comparing 1.7 to 0. 0 has a significant digit on the left i.e. x. That gives the 1.7 a bump to 2 to match the significant digit of the 0.

Comment
I would take a look at the new MBP in person before passing judgement. I ordered a new one to temporarily replace my 17" to see if I can get past the loss of 2" of screen real estate. Seeing as they have a 14 day return policy with no restock fee, I didn't see the point in not trying it out at least. I'll probably end up returning it and buying another refurb 2.5Ghz 17", but who knows.

Comment

gelatin

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2006
no more Ethernet port
only 2 usb ports as well. trying to push their thunderbolt
no anti glare option on the retina display as well
this whole glass thing has bothered me since they started it. at work we were gonna buy the cinema displays but its so bad to work when there is sun.
the glass thing looks good but its not functional for prolonged use. at least give us the damn option

gutted they got rid of the 17 inch though. i love my big screen
might wait and hope they bring back the 17 inch at some point with higher res
its not just about res to me. its nice to have a large screen to watch stuff sometimes.

yes you can plug in stuff for ethernet/usb/larger screen but for me a laptop should be an all in one device

Comment

eron

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
My 17" MBP's glossy screen doesn't induce glare anywhere near my Thunderbolt Display. My TB Display is BAD. My glossy MBP has very very minimal reflections. So the new MBP Retina with its new tech would be very very ideal as a better screen than the 17"'s.

The only thing is the ports like the express card. There will probably be a whole range of adaptors and hubs that will spring out for TB.

Though Apple might introduce the Retina on the heavier 15" MBP at a later stage. It only did it this time on a new model to push enough sales to maximise production and sales capacity.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.