No more accelerated scrolling in Safari after 7.0.3?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by todd2000, Dec 3, 2013.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Just making sure I'm not crazy, but didn't Safari used to have accelerated scrolling? It either broke with iOS 7.0.3, or 7.0.2 can't remember which. Is there any way to get it back?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

3. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, I'm about 90% sure it was there when I got the phone, and broke in a future update, but maybe I'm hallucinating. Lol

FYI my phone is a 5S so it's always been on 7 has android before so I'm not comparing it 6.

4. jonAppleSeed macrumors regular

You were probably having flashbacks to your time on Android.
    As far as I can remember and a quick google search shows no info on accelerated scrolling being in safari.

5. GreyOS macrumors 68030

I'm certain (perhaps even in the face of evidence!) that iOS had accelerated scrolling. It doesn't appear to any more :(

6. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

It absolutely was a feature showcased at WWDC but I think only in Mavericks...

Which portion was this from?

http://suckyfuture.tumblr.com/image/52639496432

7. GreyOS macrumors 68030

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...-the-bottom-of-a-long-email-on-ipad-or-iphone

"iOS does not provide a shortcut for skipping directly to the bottom of documents, but there is a reasonable alternative, if you're not already aware of it: scrolling views in iOS respond to swipe frequency, scrolling more quickly the more quickly and frequently you swipe the screen.

While swiping a long document, email, or webpage, try several long, quick swipes in rapid succession: you should notice the scrolling speed accelerate accordingly. This isn't nearly as elegant as a tap shortcut, but does let you quickly skip to the bottom of a long view."

Dated May 2012.
    ----------

Probably should be clear what we mean. "Accelerated scrolling" might be interpreted as "Hardware accelerated scrolling" which is something else.

The feature I think OP is talking about (certainly C DM in his other thread) is that if you increase the frequency and speed of your flicks, the page will scroll more than if you did the same number of flicks but at a slower rate. The speed increased exponentially. It was a way to get to the bottom of a long page quickly. Now it seems to scroll at a linear rate.

8. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

As mentioned above when scrolling in safari the more you swipe the faster it scrolls. If you can find a site with a very long page and start swiping it will soon fly to the bottom. This is the only kind of accelerated scrolling I have seen in iOS and its been there since the beginning afaik and it is still present in iOS 7.0.4

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Compare doing that in Safari (in iOS 7) to doing that in Mail or Messages with a long list of emails/messages--it flies there, but not so much in Safari though.

----------

I think part of the big difference here isn't even so much the speed of scrolling or its acceleration, but what happens when you let go of the screen when you are done with the swipe. If you swipe up a few times (to move down a page) and then let it go the scrolling will continue but only for a little more and come to a stop rather quickly vs. doing that in some other apps (and supposedly recalling it in Safri before) where after letting it go it would continue scrolling for longer on its own and slow down to a stop gradually.

10. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

On safari the scroll speed and acceleration build up seems to depend on the length of the page. I am sure that someone out there could analyse the speeds over a few different sites and work out the math behind it. I tested this on the Firefox long form test page and it took 22 stop start swipes to go from top to bottom or 7-8 successive swipes.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

But it's still not the same as it is scrolling through a list of emails in Mail or a list of messages in Messages. It's also not the same when it comes to how quickly the scrolling stops after you let go (no matter how quickly and how many times you scrolled on a long web page). I guess that might be the differences that some people are thinking about.

12. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

It's odd but Safari has always scrolled the same, just checked on an old iPod touch with ios4 and it scrolls the same as my 5s with ios7

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

That seems to be the conclusion that was arrived at in the thread I started about this a little while back.

14. GreyOS, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  15. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I never noticed it before but yes it's different between mail and safari. I believe the word you're looking is inertia. It seems to be "choked" in safari.