Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weddlec

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
This is likely a dumb question with an easy answer, but I am on my 3rd MBP 15" and can't seem to get Applecare for it. I previously had a 2008 and a 2012 15" and I have always waited until the 1 year warranty was near an end to get the warranty for it. I always figured that is a warranty does not cover accidental damage there was no sense getting the additional 2 years until near the deadline just in case I dropped it or spilled something on it. I purchased my current one, a new and sealed 2016 model, off of Ebay back in July. I registered it once I got it and it still shows my warranty good through July of 2018. I was bored the other day and noticed no where that I could get Applecare anymore for the 15" model. I used to buy off of B&H, but all they have is 13" and iMac. I could find no where that has Applecare for 15" models.

Did something change where you can't buy it 3rd party anymore? Is it no longer offered for the 15" model. I have dealt with this since early 2013 so I haven't exactly kept up with things pertaining to Applecare.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Applecare for Macs in the US died last year. All that is available now is AppleCare+ which must be purchased within 60 days of computer purchase. It provides the extended warranty that AppleCare did and accidental damage. Here is the official description. https://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

What you see in stores is the remaining boxes for the old AppleCare extended warranty you could buy any time during the 1st year of ownership. After these boxes are gone, there will be no more new AppleCare coverage for the 13" or iMacs.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Actually, the only thing available for purchase on the Apple site is AppleCare+. However, if you are beyond 60 days and still within a year you ARE eligible for AppleCare. The price is essentially the same, the only thing you won't receive is the accidental damage coverage. You can see this by going to checkcoverage.apple.com entering your serial number and the captcha and you will see "Eligible for an AppleCare Product". You can, I believe, even pay for said coverage over the Apple Support Chat, or by taking your machine to an Apple Store.

weddlec

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
So getting it 3rd-party for cheaper is pretty much out of the question then. Don't really need the accidental damage coverage, but would have welcomed it if the price was the same. Thanks.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
So getting it 3rd-party for cheaper is pretty much out of the question then. Don't really need the accidental damage coverage, but would have welcomed it if the price was the same. Thanks.

Same price for Applecare +. Ha. Apple is not a charity.

I would call Apple and see if they can help you out with the old AppleCare. Plead ignorance on the change of policy. They are getting $250+ of your money, so they may be willing to sneak you in.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
I would call Apple and see if they can help you out with the old AppleCare. Plead ignorance on the change of policy. They are getting $250+ of your money, so they may be willing to sneak you in.

There's no policy change, they're perfectly willing to sell regular AC if you are eligible. Did it myself on my 2015 MBP.

Reactions: JayMysterio

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
By policy change I mean not showing it on the website. Do you know if they would have sold you AC for a 2017 15"?
Yes, Apple will.

It is forcing resellers out of the AC market - you have to contact Apple directly to purchase it.

lpolarityl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2009
Ohio
Actually, the only thing available for purchase on the Apple site is AppleCare+. However, if you are beyond 60 days and still within a year you ARE eligible for AppleCare. The price is essentially the same, the only thing you won't receive is the accidental damage coverage. You can see this by going to checkcoverage.apple.com entering your serial number and the captcha and you will see "Eligible for an AppleCare Product". You can, I believe, even pay for said coverage over the Apple Support Chat, or by taking your machine to an Apple Store.

Can confirm, this is correct. Just added AppleCare to my 2017 MBP 15" a week ago by calling Apple.

Reactions: raqball

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Can confirm, this is correct. Just added AppleCare to my 2017 MBP 15" a week ago by calling Apple.

That's great.. The only part that sucks is it's the same price but without damage protection. Still better to have the protection than not.

lpolarityl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2009
Ohio
AppleCare is $30 cheaper, $349 vs $379. I do find it confusing that they don't list the normal AppleCare anywhere as a purchasable version, they only seem to market AppleCare +/Plus. I get it, "What's an extra $30 when it gets you Accidental Coverage?" But they should list AppleCare as an option somewhere, so buyers know they can extend coverage anytime within the first year of purchase. It's shady to me that you have to call in/contact Apple directly to add the normal AppleCare.

Last edited:
Reactions: raqball

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Naimfan wrote:
"It is forcing resellers out of the AC market - you have to contact Apple directly to purchase it"

I think there's more to it.

This also eliminates "buying AppleCare on Ebay" -- where the seller provides "a registration code" and nothing more (such as a sealed box with paper inside). As we know, ALL of those "code only" deals are bogus, using "phony generated registration numbers".
There was a long thread here on that subject back in 2009:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/dont-buy-applecare-on-ebay.690859/

Since one now has to call Apple DIRECTLY to buy and register AppleCare, that eliminates ALL 3rd-party "AppleCare transactions" -- not only the legal ones but the illegal ones as well.

Reactions: lpolarityl

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Apple Care + for my 13" was $269. I wonder if the same holds true for it and it's $30 less for Apple Care (without the +). I'd still buy the + but at least this gives people an option who either were not aware they only had 60 days to purchase or they changed their mind after that new time frame expired.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
AppleCare is $30 cheaper, $349 vs $379. I do find it confusing that they don't list the normal AppleCare anywhere as a purchasable version, they only seem to market AppleCare +/Plus. I get it, "What's an extra $30 when it gets you Accidental Coverage?" But they should list AppleCare as an option somewhere, so buyers know they can extend coverage anytime within the first year of purchase. It's shady to me that you have to call in/contact Apple directly to add the normal AppleCare.

For $30 more accidental coverage sounds like a no-brainer. But, there is the 60 day time window issue.

Also, I bet they eventually shutdown the Normal AppleCare to get more people to commit to AppleCare+ at the time of purchase.

Reactions: lpolarityl

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
It is forcing resellers out of the AC market - you have to contact Apple directly to purchase it.

Resellers is a nonsense argument, it's Apple providing the coverage, not the reseller. Any time you were ever buying AppleCare at less than the stated price, you were grey market at best and counterfeit at worst.
[doublepost=1518630250][/doublepost]
By policy change I mean not showing it on the website. Do you know if they would have sold you AC for a 2017 15"?

If I'd waited outside the stated period for purchasing AC+ for it, sure. Otherwise they'd have sold me AC+.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I've seen on eBay sellers offering AppleCare for a discount. The claim is they are sealed in box, and the seller is 100% with 25,000+ rating. I'm tempted to get it, but checking at Apple's website, there's no place to register the code. So is it even possible to buy AppleCare 3rd party anymore and actually have it accepted by Apple?

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
I've seen on eBay sellers offering AppleCare for a discount. The claim is they are sealed in box, and the seller is 100% with 25,000+ rating. I'm tempted to get it, but checking at Apple's website, there's no place to register the code. So is it even possible to buy AppleCare 3rd party anymore and actually have it accepted by Apple?

Meaningless. Don't waste your money, there are no boxes for AppleCare any more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.