Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
My MBP will not restart any more automatically. When there is an update that needs a restart (like the QuickTime update yesterday or when I hit "Restart" in the menue) there will be that "writing data... confirming packets..." thingy and sooner or later the screen goes black and that was it. Fans are running (hard drive spinning) and nothing more happens. There will be no automatic reboot (I am always waiting 15 minutes or more...).

I have to press the I/O-switch for a long time (forced shutdown). Then press the switch again for a new boot. A warning message appears and wants to be sent to Apple (did it two or three times then gave up). That happens now since some weeks. Have repaired rights with disk utility but this helped only for one time.

Thanks for reading.

muttonhead411

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2008
Here's my suggestion:

set your mac to boot up and shut down in verbose mode (or if you know how to read logs from console, you could try that) (ONYX is the friendliest way to set your mac to boot up in verbose mode)

once that is done, shut down and take note of what outputs come on your screen, and if possible post it up here. That should tell you what process is holding up your mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.