No More Big Brother UK

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by robbieduncan, Aug 26, 2009.

1. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8221995.stm

About time. No more talentless, useless, feckless, worthless idiots on TV.

Well OK, MPs will still get on the news, Stricktly Come Celebrity Get Me Out Of the X-Factor Academy Kitchen will still be on, but it's a good start :D

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Brilliant news, Channel 4 will no longer be destroyed over the summer months.

They missed the vital word in the opening paragraph.

It will come back soon enough though I am sure.

3. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Maybe Five will buy it?

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Well there will be one more year of it and it could get picked up by another network.

I know it's the fashionable thing, slagging off Big Brother but I really don't mind it. :eek: I've been watching this year and I've found it rather entertaining. I think it's an interesting social experiment, watching people slowly unravel when left with nothing but each other and what BB provides them.

"Everyone" likes to think they are far too highbrow for such silly TV. I am under no such delusions about myself. :p

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't know why people have such a great hatred for BB. Sure it's full of loonies, but they're entertaining loonies.

Don't like it, don't watch it. It's not on the BBC, people can't complain they're being forced to pay for it. What's the problem? Seems to me a lot of people seem to think such TV is somehow "below them", uh huuuuh :rolleyes:

Hoping another broadcaster picks it up when CH4 are done with it.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Glory be!

Only 11 series too late…
    Now if only the BBC would do the same to The Tudors…

xUKHCx, I don't think I have complimented you yet on your excellent 'tar… 50% of it at least. :D

7. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I watched the first series. When it was an interesting social experiment: it wasn't totally full of wothless wanabees trying to get famous. It actually had people playing it as a game. After that it was just crap.

8. djellison macrumors 68020

^ this.

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I had never seen it until I moved here the summer they had Pete, "the guy with Tourette's". I had heard about it and I was intrigued to see it for myself. I mean, a guy whose main tic word was wank? How could I not? :D Since then I've watched off and on. It's total trash TV but I like it all the same. I have to allow myself some. A few of this year's fame game whores have been surprising.

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Sounds good – but make it Strictly Come Celebrity Get Me Out Of the X-Factor Academy Kitchen On Ice and we've got a ratings winner on our hands. :cool:

You're right about the first series too – it was an interesting experiment, especially given that the contestants weren't aware of how widely and closely they were actually being watched. Since then though, the house is filled each year with wannabies after a record contract or a topless photoshoot in Nuts, or something.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Over time, Endemol and Channel 4 killed the goose that laid the golden egg by chasing a younger audience with increasingly sensational but shallow contestants. Where do you go after you've seen it all? They eventually backed themselves into a stale corner by relying on a fickle tabloid-led crowd that has plenty of competing distractions and by diluting the brand with Celebrity Big Brother and other spin-offs.

So, after seeing a couple of episodes recently, it seems they're a more complex, darker and scheming set of contestants which harks back to the first series. But to the audience they've generally catered for over the years, it's seen as possibly too boring.

Series 1-4 was its peak. Big Brother will be seen as a landmark of nostalgia television in 2030, saying much about the early part of the century.

12. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Utter rubbish anyway. Although I tried to hate it when it first came out, I did watch with interest the early seasons. It was new and shiny, and there were some nice observations to be had.

I really don't think many people can find any interest to even watch one whole episode these days.

13. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Sadly, I'm sure a wikipedia article on "Early 21st Culture" (in 2030), will say that Big Brother was the most watched TV show at the time, and reality TV was the most popular and loved form of entertainment. Until our robot overlords enslaved us all, obviously.

14. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

I suspect that by 2030 the TV schedules will be completely awash with reality TV shows shot and edited on iPhones, and Big Brother will be seen as a shining example of quality programme making with the highest of production values :eek:

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

They can't, The Tudors is produced by Showtime.

16. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well that's the next (how many wifes have we done now?) 4 years' September-Novemberish Friday nights buggered.

17. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I think it attracts the slagging off due to the nutcases that get sensationalised on there.

Generally though I too find it fascinating to watch how they interract and clash... especially when it's a slightly less insane group. This year's been okay I think.

Hmmm. Think you may have something there. I've found the more "boring" series to be the most entertaining.

18. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

No way! That's the only decent show left on television!

19. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I enjoy it as well. It's far better, and more 'real' than the other reality TV shows like Survivor, or any of the celebrity MTV ones.

21. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Survivor would have been excellent if there was an actual, real, chance of death. Every week.

22. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Hear hear! Couldn't agree more. Big Brother 10 has actually been quite interesting, though it's not a patch on 1 through 3. Y'know, when it was actually about watching a semi-diverse group of semi-normal people living together with no contact with the outside world or so much as a clock to tell the time.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Exactly, but I don't want to watch adults play kids games on a tropical island, and complain about how tough it is, and how homesick they are.

24. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Like most, I enjoyed the first few series and the show had some golden moments as well as some hotties:p ...then it got increasingly stale with more and more annoying fame chasing fakestas! the no-talent type of people who want to be famous for sake of it...

I'll be glad when it's gone. A another reason is so that I don't have to see or hear that annoying Davina again (doubt it:().

25. nick9191 macrumors 68040