No more boot camp?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jameswales, Jan 23, 2008.

1. jameswales macrumors newbie

I am running OS X and want to be able to run Windows also.

I hear that Boot Camp is no longer on the system? I can't find it in my utilities folder.

Any other free way of being able to install Windows?

2. Sir Tony macrumors member

Boot Camp comes installed with Leopard. It was just a beta for Tiger, comes standard with Leopard.

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Boot camp is no longer available for Tiger as it was a beta only. However, it comes with Leopard and should be on the Leopard disks if you have any.

It is possible to install Windows without Boot camp but you loose Mac OS X unless you have multiple internal hard drives and you may have lots of drivers issues.

4. jameswales thread starter macrumors newbie

It's Tiger I am running.

So is there any free way I can install Windows also?

5. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Yeah, if you can get hold of a boot camp installer and then change the date on your system you can trick boot camp to thinking that you're still within BETA. Then once windows is installed you're fine to change it back.

Of course if you want to remove the partition you will need to do the same thing over.

Hope this helps.

6. jameswales thread starter macrumors newbie

Can someone talk me through that process?

How can I get hold of the installer, and also change the time on my system?

Thanks.

7. Hmac macrumors 68020

Boot Camp itself is free, but you're going to have to buy Windows. OEM versions of Windows typically run $110 - $140 (check NewEgg).

There was/is an issue where the Boot Camp Assistant didn't get installed at the factory on some machines (mainly portables) using Leopard. Those to whom that happened were able to find it on their install disk, they just had to go back and install it.

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

Actually it comes as part of Leopard so technically it's not free. He would have to purchase both Leopard and Windows.