Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wadawalker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Thank you Yosemite.

Finally, that super annoying boot up sound is gone.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
The chime is not gone, but if you have sound muted before you reboot it will be muted as well. This has been this way since forever.

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014
The chime is not gone, but if you have sound muted before you reboot it will be muted as well. This has been this way since forever.

My systems must have been broken then cos I always got the chime, muted or otherwise. :( I wouldn't have minded so much if it at least respected the system volume, but boy that sucker was loud.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Yes, that loud and obnoxious chime.

Noobs will always be noobs... That chime is the trademarks of all Macs...!

This is what happens when Apple entices these Windows mother****ers with Yosemite ugly **** and blatant copying of Windows features and now they want to get rid of everything essentially Mac so that they can have an alternative version of "Windows"... :mad:

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Noobs will always be noobs... That chime is the trademarks of all Macs...!

This is what happens when Apple entices these Windows mother****ers with Yosemite ugly **** and blatant copying of Windows features and now they want to get rid of everything essentially Mac so that they can have an alternative version of "Windows"... :mad:

Well that escalated quickly.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
In fact I don't see a point of this thread other than just a NOOB bragging about getting rid of Mac features ON A MAC... :eek:

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
In fact I don't see a point of this thread other than just a NOOB bragging about getting rid of Mac features ON A MAC... :eek:

This is not a feature, this sound is terrible. For what you need it ? You cannot look if you want to go the the boot manager ? Just noise ...

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida

What ^ he said. Still there, just your sound is muted. Turn it back on and reboot and you will hear it...;)

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Our bong is burnt into the EFI. I just have mine one notch off mute and you can hardly hear it.

It was a travesty losing the old classic boot up logo but the new one isn't that bad. A Macintosh without a bong wouldn't feel like a Mac to an old un like me :)

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
My systems must have been broken then cos I always got the chime, muted or otherwise. :( I wouldn't have minded so much if it at least respected the system volume, but boy that sucker was loud.

Do you use external speakers? Changing the volume with those plugged doesn't affect the chime.

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014
Do you use external speakers? Changing the volume with those plugged doesn't affect the chime.

I do yes. Maybe that was it. Genuinely not noticed if it's still around in 10.10 since I've been busy doing other stuff the couple of occasions I've had to restart. All I know is that you could hear the old ones downstairs. I've never been "against" it, just wish it was quieter and more a gentle "chime" than a wake up "bong" :)

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Last I heard, the bong is played at the end of the ram check, signifying no bad ram was discovered. Kind of an important function.

There used to be a trick, plugging something into the headphone jack to keep it silent.

hp79

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2013
Portland
Boot sound is just stupid and annoying like hell. I really hate this. I hear it more often these days because I have to force power-off my clean installed 10.10 which was updated to 10.10.1.

I don't understand why some people always reply with "this is a feature, praise Apple" non-sense.

I wish Apple just add a tick box in System Preference somewhere and I'll even pretend to believe it's Magical. This boot noise adds nothing to a rMBP which has no user replaceable components. Nobody is going to listen to the boot noise and diagnose what's wrong with their machine.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Last I heard, the bong is played at the end of the ram check, signifying no bad ram was discovered. Kind of an important function.

There used to be a trick, plugging something into the headphone jack to keep it silent.

If true, a meaningful error message on the screen would be more...meaningful.

The second comment is pure Apple and what kept me away for years. A workaround needed to do common things a user might want to do. To me this is the true irony of Apple user friendliness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.